Humberside Fire and Rescue Service

Vehicle fire at Hull Tesco

Firefighters have been battling a car blaze at a Tesco store in Hull this morning.

Vehicle fire

A crew was called to reports of a vehicle fire in the car park of the Tesco at St Stephen's Shopping Centre.

Humberside Fire and Rescue says one crew has been tackling the fire.

Watch: Red sky at night, firefighters' delight?

Did you see a red glow in the sky over the Humber last night? If you did, you weren't alone...

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service received a high number of calls from concerned members of the public about the glowing sky.

It was a fire, but nothing to be worried out. The big red glow was actually caused by a refinery burning off unusable waste gas.

Crews said: "We have checked out the areas reported and following liaison with industrial partners this is a safe activity, albeit unusual. All is safe so sit back and enjoy the view."

Here's what people in the area were concerned about:

Fire crews spat at and abused in Hull

Humberside Fire and Rescue say parts of Hull are not safe for crews to go to, because of the risk of attacks and abuse.

Fire engines

The service says its teams have been spat at, received verbal abuse and have had objects thrown at their vehicles eight times since the start of the year.

It says its 4x4 response vehicles, which are staffed by two firefighters, will no longer be sent to deal with incidents in areas including Orchard Park and St John's Grove.

Fully-staffed fire engines, which carry CCTV cameras will have to be sent instead.

Faulty appliances cause '72 fires a week'

About 72 fires a week are being caused in our region by faulty white goods according to Humberside Fire and Rescue.

Humberside Fire and Rescue

The fire service has been been speaking after the review website "Which?" produced research which showed washing machines, tumble dryers and fridge-freezers are causing more than 60 house fires nationally every week.

The consumer group is calling on the government to do more to make sure unsafe products are removed from people's homes.

A fire service releases footage of an explosion in Hull to show the dangers of their work.
A fire service releases footage of an explosion in Hull to show the dangers of their work.