The future of the route between Wood Lane and Notting Hill is thrown into doubt at a council meeting.Read more
Transport for London
Local Democracy Reporting Service
A controversial new entrance to Southwark Tube station has been given the green light amid concerns the Greet Street entrance will disrupt the quiet, residential area.
Lambeth Council’s planning committee approved the Transport for London (TfL) development for the second entrance to the Tube by four votes to three.
It will also see the pavement of Greet Street widened to accommodate more people, landscaping and five cycle stands.
A 2009 application for the scheme was withdrawn after officers made it clear its design would harm the local amenities.
But council officers said the new proposal’s design, which will see an open staircase directly into the railway viaduct, would not be unduly harmful to the residential amenity of neighbouring occupiers, when conditions about noise and lighting were applied.
Officers also found the new station would benefit local cultural activities and businesses and provide faster access to the area.
The site is in the Waterloo Opportunity Area, where at least 2,500 new homes and 15,000 new jobs are expected over the next decade – which could add pressure on transport links.
But among those speaking against the development was Vauxhall MP Kate Hoey, who said Southwark tube station was not overly congested.
“When you compare it with Tube stations all over london, how it can be seen as being hugely congested? This is just not neccessary,” she said.
Lambeth Local Assembly member Florence Eshalomi also objected to the scheme and said it would change Greet Street “dramatically” with increased traffic and pedestrian footfall.
The entrance will be open from from 05:30 to 01:00 from Sunday to Thursday, and from 05:30 to 00:30 on Fridays and Saturdays, with conditions to limit lighting and noise from the station.
Talks aimed at achieving a pay deal for thousands of London Underground workers will resume today amid union claims that staff are facing growing workloads and pressures.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union said the latest offer from the company excludes 1,300 workers previously employed by Tube Lines, and does not address demands for a shorter working week.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "The company, the Mayor and his senior officials all need to be aware that RMT will fight for a fair deal for London's Tube workers that reflects their massive contribution to the wealth of the City.
"A failure to come up with a deal that meets that objective will result in action by this trade union.
"It is, frankly, bizarre that the current offer, which fails to address key issues like pay for the lower grades, reduction in the working week and equality of transport provision, was received by post rather than face to face.
"I also want to make it clear that RMT will not tolerate any attempts to marginalise and exclude the 1,300 former Tube Lines staff."
Local Democracy Reporting Service
Work is underway at a London Underground station as part of a move towards step-free access for travellers.
Transport for London announced that “major works” are being carried out at Harrow-on-the-Hill station.
Teams are putting up new hoardings along platforms five and six, which, it explained, will allow them to start digging the new lift shafts.
The overall plans will see four new lifts installed at the station, as well as a new bridge that will give level access to the ticket hall.
Caroline Sheridan, London Underground’s director of renewals and enhancements, said the changes will make a “positive difference” to the thousands of people who use the station regularly.
She added that extra staff will be in place while the work is carried out, since they will restrict platform space in certain areas.
Local politicians campaigned for step-free access at Harrow-on-the-Hill and they celebrated when the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, included it in a £200 million transport upgrade-package.
An MP has written to the head of British Transport Police to seek "long awaited answers" over the Croydon tram crash which killed seven people.
Another 62 people were injured, 19 seriously, on 9 November 2016.
Two-and-a-half years on from the crash, Croydon Central MP has expressed victims' families "growing frustration" at the pace of the criminal investigation.
The BTP say the investigation into the fatal crash is still ongoing.
In a letter to Chief Constable Paul Crowther, Ms Jones wrote: "Having met with constituents who lost family members in the tram crash, I know there is growing frustration with the long wait for answers.
"One family’s lawyer has branded this a 'national disgrace'. As you will know, until the result of the criminal investigation, no coroner’s inquest can take place."