Middlesbrough Borough Council

Election results for 2019

    Elected in 2019
    Total
    +/-
    23
    23
    +14
    Elected in 2019
    Total
    +/-
    20
    20
    -13
    Elected in 2019
    Total
    +/-
    3
    3
    -1

Most Recent

  1. Transporter Bridge car use to be reviewed

    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    Alex Metcalfe

    Middlesbrough's Transporter Bridge could be retired from carrying traffic.

    The 109-year-old bridge was closed last summer and hasn’t been reopened after stretched cables on the gondola were uncovered alongside other defects.

    Plans for its future will be discussed by Middlesbrough Council on 22 December.

    The executive will be asked to approve an extra £655,000 for urgent repair work and a consultation will be launched with two options - to open it as a visitor attraction or to open it to traffic at rush hours.

    Executive papers show it would cost £4m over 10 years to open the bridge purely as a visitor attraction.

    The full cost of reopening the bridge to traffic at rush hour could come to more than £7m in the next decade.

    Dredger sails under the Transporter Bridge
  2. Complaint against Middlesbrough mayor 'assessed' by council

    Alex Metcalfe

    Local Democracy Reporter

    A complaint against Middlesbrough mayor Andy Preston is being assessed after allegations over his conduct in office.

    It is understood to relate to an incident which took place in February.

    No details emerged about the incident at the time, but it is understood that the council received an anonymous tip-off last week.

    Council chief executive Tony Parkinson said: "We can confirm that a complaint has been received and is currently being assessed.

    "There will be no further comment until that process has concluded."

    Andy Preston

    Mr Preston described the allegations as an attempt to discredit him.

    He said: "At a time when covid has left Middlesbrough and many of its people in crisis, this is an absurd and appalling new low in a long series of attempts to bring me down by those who want to be in power."

  3. MIddlesbrough store fined for ignoring lockdown rules

    Fiona Trott

    BBC News

    A national department store has closed on Teesside after being fined £17,000 for ignoring lockdown rules.

    Middlesbrough Council says it continued to trade, even though it wasn’t selling essential items.

    It's understood local authorities in other parts of the country are also pursuing enforcement action.

    The store in Middlesbrough, which can’t be named for legal reasons, was issued with a number of fixed penalty notices for failing to close under Covid-19 regulations. It’s now shut its doors.

    The council says other shops have also been fined and says some try to get around the restrictions by claiming to sell a small amount of food, medicines or face coverings, which are essential.

    The local authority says Middlesbrough’s infection rate is alarmingly high and it’s taking action to protect public health.

  4. Councillor accused of firework fraud

    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    A council group leader will stand trial next year accused of fraud relating to fireworks invoices.

    Councillor Jon Rathmell, who's the leader of the Middlesbrough Independent Councillors Association, pleaded not guilty to three charges of forgery and fraud at Teesside Crown Court.

    The court heard the charges related to fireworks at G2 Fireworks, in Middlesbrough, and documents offered up to Nunthorpe Community Council.

    Rathmell has been accused of making and submitting fake invoices for payment of the fireworks.

    He denied all the charges, and the 42-year-old will appear for his trial on March 8.

    Cllr Jon Rathmell, independent councillor for Nunthorpe
  5. Meal delivery driver gets unsung hero award

    A volunteer who has delivered hundreds of meals to people during the coronavirus outbreak has received an unsung hero award from Middlesbrough Council.

    Since March, semi-retired decorator John O'Brien has been hand-delivering 50 Sunday lunches and 50 mid-week meals to the elderly and vulnerable across the Cannon Park and town areas.

    John and his award

    The 49-year-old said: "At the start of the pandemic people were panic-buying for themselves, but I knew there were people who didn't have any food, and elderly and house-bound people who couldn't get any shopping in.

    "The pandemic has hit everybody hard, but some people have slipped through the net, and I just wanted to do something to help."

    He was awarded the October 2020 Boro Hero Award by Middlesbrough Mayor Andy Preston, who said: "John O'Brien typifies that selfless, generous, caring Boro spirit that makes this town what it is."

  6. Care home conversion approved

    Alex Metcalfe

    Local Democracy Reporter

    Plans to convert a former care home into three houses in Middlesbrough have been approved by councillors.

    Marton’s Westmoor View shut its doors earlier this year after 30 years in operation – with a “chronic” lack of nurses blamed for rising costs and fears patients would be put at risk.

    Care home entrance

    The 19th century former farmhouse off Dixons Bank will now be transformed into three new homes alongside two five-bedroom detached properties within the grounds.

    Middlesbrough Council's planning committee approved Craig and Natalie Daniels's plan by five votes to three. Neighbours had said they wanted the green areas around the building preserved while concerns were also raised about extra traffic in the area.

    But councillor David Branson was concerned about the town being “preserved in aspic” and told the committee the plan was “not over obtrusive”.

  7. Church hall micro-pub conversion rejected

    Alex Metcalfe

    Local Democracy Reporter

    Plant to turn a former church hall into a micro-pub have been turned down over noise concerns.

    The derelict hall at St Cuthbert’s Church and community centre has stood near Newport Road in MIddlesbrough for 130 years. Applicant Russell Towers had wanted to turn the site into the Chapel at Whitehouse Street, a hub where people could drop in for a coffee during the day or a pint of quality ale by night.

    The church hall

    But members of Middlesbrough Council’s planning committee didn’t agree with the transformation at their latest meeting – voting eight to nil to turn the bid down.

    Officers told the panel the plan near the A66 included installing a beer garden with minor moderations planned inside the building. Three objections were lodged ahead of the meeting with worries about noise, trouble and the potential for parking problems. Councillor Janet Thompson felt it was too close to residents and would bring noise and anti-social behaviour problems.

    She said: “It’s also how close it is to the A66 when people are intoxicated. We’ve heard about people falling into rivers so they could wander onto the A66.”

  8. Council leaders on Teesside discuss tighter restrictions

    Discussions on whether tighter restrictions should be imposed on Teesside have been taking place.

    The leaders of Redcar and Cleveland, Darlington, Stockton and Hartlepool councils, along with the mayor of Middlesbrough and the Tees Valley Mayor have been meeting with government officials, but no decision has as yet been made.

    Speaking on behalf of the group, Councillor Mary Lanigan, leader of Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, described discussions as "ongoing".

    She said: "Nothing has been agreed and we anticipate further discussions on Monday.

    "We will continue to prioritise the health and wellbeing of our residents, supporting businesses and saving jobs as we press for the best possible outcome for the Tees Valley.”