By Matthew Murray
BBC News, Kampala
A prominent critic of the Rwandan president who is in prison on terrorism charges says he is suing a Greek charter flight company for aiding his alleged kidnap and repatriation to Rwanda.
Paul Rusesabagina - whose story during the 1994 genocide inspired the Hollywood film Hotel Rwanda - had been living in exile in the US and Belgium.
He says in August he intended to visit Burundi for a speaking engagement but when he boarded a private flight in Dubai he was instead flown to Rwanda.
A civil lawsuit filed in Texas alleges that the charter company, GainJet, agreed to facilitate the journey because of its close relationship with officials in Kigali.
A similar case is expected be lodged in Belgium where Mr Rusesabagina holds citizenship.
GainJet has not responded to the BBC’s requests for comment.
BBC World Service
Police in the Netherlands have arrested a man suspected of having been involved in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.
The 71- year-old, a former bank clerk and pharmacy owner from the capital, Kigali, is accused of drawing up a list of Tutsi to be killed.
He is also said to have been involved in other attacks on Tutsi civilians.
Around 800,000 people lost their lives during the 100-day genocide.
Rwanda has requested his extradition. The man claimed asylum in the Netherlands in the year 2000.
The latest arrest comes five months after businessman Félicien Kabuga, accused of financing the genocide, was arrested in a suburb in Paris.
Mr Kabuga described the accusations as "lies" during a court appearance in May.
BBC Great Lakes
The UN tribunal in Arusha, Tanzania, has appointed three judges to conduct the trial of Rwandan genocide suspect Félicien Kabuga.
Scottish Judge Iain Bonomy will preside the chamber assisted by Uruguayan Judge Graciela Susana Gatti Santana and Ugandan Judge Elizabeth Ibanda-Nahamya, the UN court said in a statement.
On Wednesday French top court backed Mr Kabuga extradition to the UN court. But his lawyer wants him to be tried in The Hague, citing the coronavirus pandemic and his client's health and age.
France's extradition law says that Mr Kabuga needs to be transferred to Arusha within a month.
Mr Kabuga is alleged to have backed and armed ethnic Hutu militias who slaughtered about 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus. In May, he described the accusations as "lies".
He was arrested near Paris in May after evading capture for 26 years
France's top civil court has ruled that Rwandan genocide suspect Félicien Kabuga can be handed over to a United Nations tribunal in Tanzania for trial.
Mr Kabuga was arrested in May at his home outside Paris after 26 years on the run.
Once one of Rwanda's richest men, Mr Kabuga is accused of financing the 1994 genocide.
He is alleged to have backed and armed ethnic Hutu militias who slaughtered about 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus.
He set up the notorious Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines (RTLM), a Rwandan broadcaster that actively encouraged people to search out and kill ethnic Tutsis.
In 1997 he was indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), based in the northern Tanzanian town of Arusha, on seven counts including genocide and crimes against humanity.
He denies all the charges, describing the accusations as "lies" during a court appearance in May.
By Samba Cyuzuzo
BBC Great Lakes
Why is Rwanda putting the hero of the film Hotel Rwanda on trial? We hear from the spokesperson for the National Public Prosecution Authority about his controversial arrest
BBC Great Lakes
Rwanda genocide suspect Charles Ndereyehe has been released after he was arrested on Tuesday evening at his house near Netherlands capital, Amsterdam, his political party has said.
The Rwandan government had in 2010 issued an international arrest warrant for Mr Ndereyehe on charges of organising killings in the genocide.
His release has been confirmed by leader of the foreign-based opposition party FDU-Inkingi, Justin Bahunga.
Mr Ndereyehe, 70, is an active member of FDU and a critic of the Rwandan government. He has been living in the Netherlands for more than 15 years.
During the genocide he was the head of the government’s agricultural research institution located in south Rwanda.
Rwanda’s commission for the fight against genocide had tweeted asking the Netherlands to “urgently extradite Mr Ndereyehe to Rwanda”.
Dutch police have yet to comment on his arrest and release.
In 2016, the Netherlands extradited to Rwanda Jean Baptiste Mugimba and Jean Claude Iyamuremye who were accused of playing roles in the genocide.
An estimated 800,000 Rwandans were killed in the space of 100 days between April and June 1994.
His daughter says the family has not been able to speak to him yet.
Africa editor, BBC World Service
Rwanda has issued an international arrest warrant for a former senior Rwandan military official, Aloys Ntiwiragabo, who is under investigation in France for his alleged role in the country's 1994 genocide.
France opened a probe after a French publication, Mediapart, found Mr Ntiwiragabo in the city of Orleans.
He had been identified by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) as one of the architects of the genocide.
Neither the ICTR, Interpol, France nor Rwanda were actively seeking him, having dropped arrest warrants years earlier.
The revelation of Mr Ntiwiragabo's whereabouts came barely two months after another suspected genocide architect, Felicien Kabuga, was arrested on the fringes of Paris.
By Andrea Dijkstra
Business reporter, Kigali, Rwanda
BBC Great Lakes
A French appeals court has rejected a request to reopen an investigation into the shooting down in 1994 of a plane carrying the then-Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarima.
The incident sparked the Rwandan genocide in which 800,000 people were killed.
The inquiry was dropped in 2018, but Habyarimana's widow, Agathe, and the families of other victims had appealed against the decision.
But it may not be the end of the case, as civil parties have already said they will move to a higher court, the AFP news agency reports.
Relations between the France and Rwanda have been turbulent ever since a French judge in 2006 accused several close associates of current Rwandan President Paul Kagame of being behind the assassination of Habyarimana.
At the time Mr Kagame was the leader of a Tutsi rebel force which was fighting the Hutu-dominated government.
He has always said that Hutu extremists shot the missiles that brought down the president's plane.
Under current French President Emmanuel Macron, political relations have improved.