Angola

  1. Angola sacks journalist after censorship criticism

    BBC Monitoring

    The world through its media

    A journalist working for Angola's state TV, TPA, has been sacked, weeks after he said the station had banned coverage of opposition parties.

    Jose Neto Alves Fernandes had made the censorship allegations on his Facebook page.

    "It's true. Angola is the only country where the media has been forbidden from reporting on proposals from the opposition," he wrote at the time.

    TPA said Mr Fernandes was sacked alongside other senior staff as part of a reshuffle in the management.

    The station said the reshuffle was "meant to bring dynamism and efficiency to the decision making process within the organisation".

    Mr Fernandes' allegations had prompted the Angolan media regulator to announce a probe into the policies of state-owned broadcaster.

  2. Angola's ex-president returns after long absence

    Jose Eduardo dos Santos waving
    Image caption: The former president will stay in the Bairro Miramar neighbourhood in Luanda, according to local newspaper Novo Jornal

    Angola's former president José Eduardo dos Santos returned home on Tuesday after spending two years in Spain, amid growing tensions between his family and the current head of state João Lourenço over alleged corruption.

    It is unclear for how long he will stay, but his arrival comes ahead of the ruling party's congress in December and presidential elections next year, according to Reuters News Agency.

    The 79-year-old stepped down in 2017 after nearly four decades in power.

    Angolan authorities have accused one of his children - billionaire Isabel dos Santos - of embezzling and mismanaging $1bn (£724m) from the state oil firm.

    She denies any wrongdoing.

    The former president's son has also had legal troubles.

    José Filomeno dos Santos was sentenced to five years in jail in 2020 for fraud, after $500m (£362m) was transferred from the national bank of Angola to an account in the UK.

    The ruling is being appealed, according to a report in Novo Jornal.

  3. Angola opposition protest against vote law changes

    Mary Harper

    Africa editor, BBC World Service

    Hundreds of opposition supporters have held a march in the Angolan capital, Luanda, to protest against changes to electoral laws.

    Under the new legislation, votes will be tallied centrally instead of being counted in the regions.

    Critics say this will reduce transparency.

    The demonstration was organised by the main opposition Unita party and joined by other groups.

    Unita has suggested the introduction of measures to counter electoral fraud including biometric voter identification and the involvement of civil society in ballot counting.

    President João Lourenço is expected to run for a second term in next year's poll.

  4. Twelve die in DR Congo from Angola toxic mine leak

    Mary Harper

    Africa editor, BBC World Service

    A leak from a reservoir last month caused a river to turn red
    Image caption: A river turned red last month after a leak

    Nearly 4,500 people have fallen sick in the south of the Democratic Republic of Congo following a toxic leak from a diamond mine in neighbouring Angola, the environment minister says.

    Eve Bazaiba said 12 people had died.

    She said the DR Congo would ask for reparations for the damage caused but did not specify an amount.

    There has been no response so far from the mining company.

    Last month's leak from a reservoir containing heavy metal by-products caused a river to turn red, killing fish, hippos and other animals.

  5. Southern African troops launch Mozambique mission

    Jose Tembe

    BBC News, Maputo

    Troops from  Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa and Tanzania at Monday's ceremony
    Image caption: Soldiers from Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa and Tanzania make up the Sadc alert force

    Mozambique's president has called for newly stationed multi-national troops to act with "harmony" and "respect for human life" as they prepare to serve in the troubled province of Cabo Delgado.

    The mission is funded by the southern African regional bloc, Sadc, with a budget of $12m (£8.6m) and renewable on a month-by-month basis.

    More than 3,000 people have been killed and 820,000 displaced since the Islamist insurgency in Cabo Delgado began in 2017.

    Last month Rwanda sent 1,000 soldiers to Mozambique to fight the militants, and on Sunday Rwandan and Mozambican troops said they recaptured the rebels' stronghold of Mocímboa da Praia.

    "Strengthen your relations with the populations through humanitarian aid, whenever possible," Mozambique's President Felipe Nyusi told troops at Monday's official send-off ceremony also attended by Botswana's leader Mokgoeetsi Masisi.

    The two premiers have key Sadc roles - they are Sadc president and Sadc defence chair, respectively.

    "You are heroes. As the government of the republic of Mozambique, we will spare no efforts to ensure the restoration of peace and security," Mr Nyusi added.

  6. Ex-president's daughter ordered to repay $500m

    BBC World Service

    Isabel Dos Santos

    An international court has ruled that Isabel Dos Santos, the daughter of Angola's former president who was once known as Africa's richest woman, must surrender oil and gas shares worth $500m (£360m).

    The Netherlands Arbitration Institute, part of the International Court of Arbitration, said that the transaction in which Ms Dos Santos had received the shares in Portuguese oil and gas firm Galp was illegal.

    It ordered that she must return them to the Angolan energy group Sonangol.

    Ms Dos Santos has faced a slew of allegations that she plundered state assets and sent the money abroad.

    She denies the allegations and says she is the victim of a political witch-hunt.

    Read: Africa's richest woman 'ripped off Angola'

  7. Angola drought pushes millions close to starvation

    Mary Harper

    Africa editor, BBC World Service

    A human rights group says millions of Angolans are on the brink of starvation as the worst drought in 40 years ravages the south of the country.

    Amnesty International said the problem had been exacerbated by the creation of commercial cattle farms which have driven animal herders from their land.

    Some of the people have resorted to eating leaves.

    The International Committee of the Red Cross says thousands have fled into neighbouring Namibia.

    This is the third year of drought, which has pushed about half the population into crisis conditions, the UN says.

  8. Malaria cases 'on the decline' amid Angola epidemic

    A mosquito
    Image caption: Malaria is caused by parasites transmitted through mosquito bites

    Angolan health authorities have said malaria cases in the country are on the decline, Portugal's Lusa news agency has reported.

    This year more than 5,000 people have died from Malaria in the oil-rich nation.

    But the secretary of State for Public Health Franco Mufinda is quoted as saying that the government has distributed test kits and drugs across the country to combat the epidemic.

    This meant that fewer cases and fatalities were now being recorded, he said.

    Mr Mufinda gave an example of a hospital in Huambo city where there were 300 patients at the beginning of this year's epidemic but during his latest visit he said only 56 were being treated for malaria.

    Angola is among the 10 countries with the highest number of malaria cases and deaths in the world, according to the Severe Malaria Observatory (SMO).

  9. Video content

    Video caption: Drones, lasers and thermal technology are being used to locate hidden landmines

    Drones, lasers and thermal technology are being used to locate hidden landmines. Thousands are still scattered across the country - a legacy from its civil war.

  10. Can new technology help solve Angola’s landmine problem?

    Video content

    Video caption: Drones, lasers and thermal technology are being used to locate hidden landmines

    Drones, lasers and thermal technology are being used to locate hidden landmines. Thousands are still scattered across the country - a legacy from its civil war.

  11. Using drones to spot Angola's landmines

    Video content

    Video caption: Lasers and thermal technology are being used to map out where mines are hidden

    Lasers and thermal technology are being used to map out where mines are hidden.

  12. Video content

    Video caption: 'Longest sediment flow ever measured in action'

    Scientists are reporting what they say is the longest submarine landslide yet measured in action.

  13. Video content

    Video caption: Fly through the underwater Congo Canyon

    The sinuous channel in the eastern Atlantic plays host to huge submarine landslides.

  14. Angola president replaces head of security

    President Joao Lourenço
    Image caption: President João Lourenço sacked top security officials

    Angolan President João Lourenço has sacked the head of his security team, Pedro Sebastião.

    He also fired the defence secretary and the head of military intelligence.

    No reasons were given for the dismissals.

    They come weeks after an army official was detained while trying to leave the country with millions in foreign currency.

  15. Angola's president apologises for May 1977 massacre

    President of Angola João Lourenço
    Image caption: President Lourenço said it was no longer time to point fingers at each other

    Angola's President João Lourenço has apologised to victims and families of those killed in the May 1977 massacre and asked for forgiveness on the government's behalf.

    Thousands, including many of the country's young intellectuals and party activists, were imprisoned, tortured and killed following a split in the governing People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) party.

    Amnesty International says 30,000 died in the purge. Some say as many as 90,000 were killed.

    In his address to the nation, President Lourenço termed the killings by government forces as a "great evil".

    He termed the government's response as "disproportionate and extreme".

    But it was "no longer time to point fingers at each other", he said.

    The government would begin a search for the remains of some of the historical figures who were killed to return them to their families, Mr Lourenço said.

    "This public apology and forgiveness is not limited to simple words, it reflects our sincere regret and willingness to put an end to the anguish that throughout these years the families carry with them for lack of information about the fate given to their loved one," he said.

  16. Angolan activists welcome same-sex law changes

    BBC Focus on Africa radio

    Gender rights activists in Angola have welcomed a change to the penal code, which has come into effect this week, which means same-sex relationships are no longer criminalised.

    The new law also recognises the rights of people of different sexual orientations.

    Anyone refusing to employ or provide services to individuals based on their sexual orientation may face up to two years in prison.

    “This penal code is going to allow us to make different demands from now on and allows us to have a conversation about employment, which is one of the main struggles for LGBTI people,” Luanda-based gender activist Paula Sebastião told BBC Focus on Africa.