Mozambique

400 children remain separated from families after Cyclone Idai

Some young children have only vague memories of their home communities
It's more than two months since Cyclone Idai hit Mozambique, but at least 400 children are still separated from their families in the worst-affected province of Sofala.

The organisation "Save the Children"  says that some young children only have vague memories of their homes, making the painstaking process of reuniting families even more difficult.  

Chance Briggs is Country Director in Mozambique for Save the Children.

(Photo: A child in the aftermath of Cyclone Idai. Credit: AFP)

Mozambique village 'at risk of famine'

Famine is closing in on a village in the north of Mozambique, Radio Mocambique has said.

Droughts followed by Cyclone Idai and Cyclone Kenneth has affected about 1,000 farmers in the Tete province.

They say they are in need of seed to start the farming a new season of crops, which were mainly destroyed by combined floods and torrential rains.

Farmers standing amid destroyed crops
BBC

Two vehicles destroyed by militants in Mozambique

Jose Tembe

BBC Africa, Maputo

Two vehicles have been ambushed on the border between Mozambique and Tanzania in an attack believed to have been carried out by militants, according to the news website Carta de Mocambique.

One of the vehicles was a truck carrying food while the other was a bus carrying passengers from Tanzania to Mozambique.

The militants, thought to be Islamist fundamentalists, allowed the people inside the vehicles to get out before setting the truck and bus alight.

The ambush follows a series of attacks on the roads in Mozambique.

On Friday, an attack on the road between Mocimboa da Praia and Palma resulted in two deaths.

The victims were reportedly travelling into town to sell building materials, following the destruction caused by cyclone Kenneth.

A man is also in hospital after he was shot on same road on Thursday.

Map of Mozambique
BBC

Special school calendar post-Cyclone Kenneth

Jose Tembe

BBC Africa, Maputo

Mozambican children study from textbooks in a classroom
Anadolu

Mozambique has decided to set up a special academic calendar for students affected by Cyclone Kenneth, which hit the northern provinces of Cabo Delgado and Nampula last month.

Forty-three people have died and 70 schools have been destroyed across both provinces, affecting more than 22,000 children.

"Students in the storm-hit areas lost 10 days of classes," said Mozambique's Deputy Minister of Education Armindo Ngunga when he announced the calendar change on Monday.

He added that extra assistance would be provided to allow catch-up classes on Saturdays.

'Years to rebuild'

A view from Pemba in the aftermath of Cyclone Kenneth

Lebo Diseko

BBC News, Pemba, Mozambique

Man walking through flood waters
Reuters

The people here have a resolve that defies the elements as life goes on in Pemba. There is so much water that it's hard to know if you're looking at a river or waterlogged fields,

But the structures peeking out of it are people’s homes. Hundreds lived in the area, much of which is now underwater.

But some are still trying to go about their daily lives.

People will have spent years and years building homes for their families, and so much of that has been destroyed.

Lots of the people that did live here have been taken to local schools, which are being used as shelters as authorities just try and keep people safe.

Classrooms serve as a kitchen, a clinic, and bedrooms for around 1,000 people.

Woman flood victim
BBC

Manassa Jamal told me she has four children with her:

“The water got into my house and then a cashew tree fell on it. The house was completely destroyed.

“We don’t have firewood. Yesterday we had our first meal at 13:00. There’s no water, there’s no food, and no firewood.”

Mozambique: Cyclone Kenneth aftermath leaves 200,000 at risk
Lebo Diseko reports as rain continues to hamper aid efforts in Mozambique in the wake of Cyclone Kenneth.

Cyclone Kenneth - UN plea for funds

UN office in Pemba is calling for funding to help those affected by flooding in Mozambique
As the death tolls climbs in the aftermath of Cyclone Kenneth - the second serious storm to hit Mozambique in six weeks - aid workers are still struggling to reach the worst-affected areas. More rainfall is expected.  For an update, Newsday heard from Gemma Connell of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

(Pic A man ferries residents through a flooded road in Pemba, Mozambique ; Credit Reuters)

Dumpsite collapse kills five in Mozambique

Jose Tembe

BBC Africa, Maputo

At least five people have died in Mozambique's cyclone hit northern province of Cabo Delgado after heavy rain triggered a landslide in a garbage site.

The incident happened on Sunday night in the provincial capital, Pemba.

Four of the dead, according to the independent television station, STV, are from the same family.

The station says the number of the dead may rise as rescue and recovery operations continue.

Cyclone Kenneth made landfall on Thursday last week with winds of 220km/h (140mph) which flattened whole villages.

Around 700,000 people are now thought to be at risk in the area as torrential rains continue.

STV reports heavy rains have been falling in Pemba, one of the world's largest bays.

It says the municipal garbage dump cascaded over nearby houses, burying at least five people, who did not manage to escape the tragedy.

A team, including the fire brigade, are at the site digging the rubble as there are concerns that there could be more people trapped.

This is not the first time that the Pemba municipal garbage dumpsite has collapsed. In 2014, 23 people were killed in similar circumstances.

For more on the aftermath of Cyclone Kenneth, read our news story.

Parts of Mozambique had over 300mm of rainfall since Kenneth made landfall last Thursday
Parts of Mozambique had over 300mm of rainfall since Kenneth made landfall last Thursday