Guinea

  1. Guinea bans protests 'because of Covid-19'

    BBC World Service

    A protestor throws a rock during a demonstration of members of the Guinean opposition,A protestor throws a rock during a demonstration of members of the Guinean opposition (archive shot)
    Image caption: Guinea has been hit by a wave of protests against President Alpha Condé's rule

    Guinea's government has suspended all street protests in what it says is a move to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

    The opposition politician who lost last month's presidential election, Cellou Dalein Diallo, had called for mass protests this Wednesday.

    He failed in his bid to get the result overturned in the courts after alleging that the vote had been rigged.

    Guinea has been through a period of political instability since the 82-year-old president, Alpha Condé, changed the constitution to run for a third term.

    Dozens of people have been killed in political violence in recent months.

  2. Guinea leader pledges crackdown on ill-gotten wealth

    President Alpha Condé
    Image caption: President Alpha Condé is serving a controversial third term

    Guinea's President Alpha Condé has vowed to crackdown on ill-gotten wealth in the country.

    The president said he would not allow impunity and nepotism in his leadership, and has promised to ensure public money is used to the benefit of Guineans.

    President Condé warned looters to return stolen money before his administration catches up with them.

    Speaking after the constitutional court upheld his win, the president said he would embark on growing the economy.

    The the 82-year old president, who has been in power for 10 years after spending decades in opposition, won a controversial third term in office last month that was preceded by violent protests across the country and sparked many more. Dozens have been killed.

    Mr Condé says a constitutional referendum in March allowed him to run despite a two-term limit, but opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

    Guinea's main opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, had lodged an appeal at the constitutional court to overturn the results citing fraud, but the court rejected his allegations.

    More on this topic:

  3. Guinea opposition leader contests election results

    BBC World Service

    Cellou Dalein Diallo
    Image caption: Cellou Dalein Diallo claimed victory after the October 18 election

    Guinea's main opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, has lodged an appeal at the constitutional court to overturn the results of last month's presidential election.

    His lawyer said there was irrefutable evidence of electoral irregularities.

    Provisional results say the 82-year old incumbent, Alpha Condé, won the poll. He is now heading for a third term in office.

    Dozens of people have been killed in political violence since Mr Condé decided to run again.

    Read:

  4. US concerned over 'inconsistent' Guinea poll results

    Opposition supported clash with the police in post-election protests
    Image caption: Opposition supporters have taken to the streets

    The US has expressed concern over "inconsistencies" in preliminary results of Guinea's presidential election.

    In a statement, the US embassy spoke of a "lack of transparency in vote tabulations and inconsistencies between the announced results and tally sheets results from polling stations".

    Guinea's 82-year-old leader Alpha Condé won a controversial third term in office, according to preliminary results, amid violent protests across the country.

    The US has urged all parties to peacefully resolve electoral disputes through established institutions. It said it supported diplomatic efforts by the West African regional bloc, Ecowas, the African Unions and the UN.

    The main opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, had declared himself winner and was prevented from leaving his house until Wednesday when he said the security officers outside his home had been withdrawn.

    Read:

  5. EU concerned over credibility of Guinea poll results

    Opposition supporters clash with the police
    Image caption: Clashes between opposition supporters and security forces have led to deaths

    The European Union has said that although voting in Guinea was calm, "questions remain as to the credibility of the result".

    It said it had taken note of the provisional results that announced President Alpha Conde's win.

    The EU said it supported the diplomacy efforts by West Africa's regional bloc, Ecowas, the African Union and the UN to restore confidence.

    A delegation of mediators is in the country and has met various political actors, including opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo who has been prevented from leaving his house.

    "To this end, all actors involved in this process must be able to fully enjoy their freedom of movement and expression.It is also important that the means of communication, in particular access to the internet, are guaranteed in all circumstances," the statement added.

    There have been clashes between opposition supporters and security forces across the nation since the opposition leader declared himself winner.

    Read:

  6. At least 21 dead in Guinea's post-election violence

    BBC World Service

    Protesters in Conakry on October 21, 2020
    Image caption: UN and AU mediators have been sent to Guinea amid the unrest

    At least 21 people are now thought to have died in the unrest that has followed Guinea's disputed election earlier this month.

    Clashes between opposition supporters and security forces continued over the weekend, when the electoral commission confirmed President Alpha Condé's controversial third term in office.

    The opposition, which has declared itself the victor, says Mr Conde broke the law when he changed the constitution in March to allow him to run again.

    The United Nations and the African Union have sent mediators to Guinea to try to negotiate a solution.

    Read:

    Guinea president re-elected amid violent protests

  7. 'Gunfire heard' in Guinea

    Gunfire was heard on Friday in Guinea's capital Conakry as supporters of opposition presidential candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo clashed with police, witnesses are quoted as saying to Reuters news agency.

    "There were warning shots. The police intervened to clear the barricades and disperse the demonstrators," Oumar Camara, a local resident, is quoted as saying to Reuters.

    It comes after the election commission released preliminary results of Sunday's presidential vote from 37 of the 38 districts.

    Those results show the incumbent Alpha Condé won around twice as many votes as Mr Diallo.

    Mr Diallo has complained of large-scale fraud and declared himself the winner.

    The government has ordered the army to restore order following violent protests over the election results.

    At least nine people have died in the latest violence.

    Smoke rises and wood litters the road as supporters of the main opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo of UFDG party set up barricades to protest against preliminary presidential election results that were announced by the election commission, in Ratoma district of Conakry, Guinea October21, 2020.
    Image caption: Smoke rose over the streets of Conakry on Wednesday as people waited for the election results
  8. Guinea's Condé set for victory in preliminary results

    BBC World Service

    President Alpha Conde casts his ballot during the presidential elections on 18 October  2020.
    Image caption: President Alpha Condé is seeking a controversial third term

    Preliminary results of Sunday's presidential election in Guinea indicate that the President, Alpha Condé, appears set for a first round victory.

    The election commission released fresh results late on Thursday which showed the 82-year-old president to be the clear leader in the race.

    He has a lead of 1.2 million votes with 37 of 38 electoral districts counted, Reuters news agency reports.

    But the main opposition candidate, Cellou Dalein Diallo, has complained of large-scale fraud and has declared himself the winner.

    There has been widespread violence in Guinea since the election and after President Condé's controversial decision earlier this year to seek a third term, which required a change to the constitution.

  9. At least 10 dead in Guinea post-election violence

    Supporters of the main opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo set up barricades to protest against preliminary presidential election results
    Image caption: Opposition supporters have taken to the streets

    At least 10 people have died in post-election violence in Guinea, according to the country's security minister.

    President Alpha Condé is currently leading according to results from the 14 constituencies announced by the electoral commission so far, Reuters news agency reports. There are 20 constituencies in all.

    His challenger Cellou Dalein Diallou claimed victory and said the election was marred by "anomalies".

    He accused President Condé's administration of modifying results in the incumbent's favour.

    President Condé has called for calm as the country awaits the official election results.

    His controversial bid for a third term had led to protests before the elections during which at least 50 people died, according to Amnesty International.

    Read:

  10. Post-election violence breaks out in Guinea

    BBC World Service

    There's been more violence in Guinea as the country awaits the final results from Sunday's presidential election.

    At least one person died in the capital Conakry during clashes between opposition supporters and police.

    Initial results suggest that President Alpha Condé, who is 82, is ahead in the poll.

    On Monday, his main challenger, Cellou Dalein Diallou, complained of fraud and declared himself the winner.

    There's been repeated violence since President Condé's decision to seek a third term, which required a change in the Guinea's constitution.

  11. Guinea's opposition decries 'poll results fraud'

    BBC World Service

    Election workers start the counting of ballots during Guinea"s presidential election in Conakry, Guinea October 18, 2020.
    Image caption: Provisional election results are expected to be released on Wednesday

    The opposition in Guinea has denounced what it called a large-scale fraud aimed at preventing it from winning Sunday's presidential election.

    The campaign manager for the main opposition challenger, Cellou Dalein Diallo, said the administration of President Alpha Condé was doing everything possible to modify the results in his favour.

    At least three people have died since Mr Diallo claimed victory.

    Final official results have not yet been released.

    African Union monitors say the vote was conducted properly.

    Read:

  12. Misinformation spreads following Guinea election

    Linnete Bahati

    BBC Monitoring Disinformation Team

    Crowds on the streets in Guinea
    Image caption: Crowds on the streets of Conakry on Monday after Cellou Dalein Diallo claimed victory despite no official election results

    Guinea's government has condemned the spread of "fake news" online following the first round of Guinea's presidential elections on Sunday.

    Minister of Foreign Affairs Mamadi Touré denounced as "completely false" a video circulating online claiming to be a recording of a phone call made by President Alpha Condé conceding defeat to his rival Cellou Dalein Diallo.

    He dismissed another viral post claiming that diplomats were putting pressure on President Condé "to accept defeat and that he was trying to "negotiate a second round to avoid humiliation in the first round".

    Official results have not yet been announced, despite a declaration of victory by opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo on Monday.

    Guinea's electoral commission said it was the only body authorised to declare the results.

    More on Guinea:

  13. Guinea's opposition leader declares election 'win'

    Guinea opposition supporters celebrate after Cellou Diallo declared himself winner

    Guinea's opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, has declared himself winner of Sunday's presidential election despite the fact official results have not yet been announced.

    The electoral commission says vote counting is still ongoing and that it is the only body mandated to announce the winner.

    But earlier, Mr Diallo had told journalists and his supporters that he won the first round despite "anomalies".

    Mr Diallo's supporters who took to the streets to celebrate were dispersed by police. He later tweeted that three people had been killed and several others injured by the police.

    Guineans had protested for months following the decision by President Alpha Condé to run for a third term.

    Results of the tensed election are expected by Wednesday after which candidates have eight days to appeal.

    Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round on 24 November.

    More on Guinea:

  14. Vote counting underway in Guinea's tense election

    Lalla Sy

    BBC News, Dakar

    Election workers counting ballots during the Guinea's presidential election in Boke, Guinea October 18, 2020.

    Ballots are being counted in Guinea's presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

    Provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations, according to the electoral law.

    Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

    Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round on 24 November.

    Ten other candidates are also running.

    Sunday's election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although Security Minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

    He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognise the results if he would not win.

    He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

    People wait to cast their ballots at a polling station
    Image caption: Voting was largely peaceful across the country

    Read:

  15. Video content

    Video caption: Guinea elections: Campaigning during Covid-19

    Candidates and their supporters in Guinea's presidential election have had to campaign during Covid-19.

  16. Guinea commander killed two days before election

    Lalla Sy

    BBC West Africa correspondent

    Map of Guinea

    Tension is rising in Guinea, following the killing of senior army officer Col Mamady Condé.

    It comes just two days before a presidential election in which President Alpha Condé is running for a controversial third term.

    Armed men shot Col Condé dead in the early hours of Friday at a military camp in Kindia, 130km (80 miles) north-east of the capital, Conakry.

    Residents of the nearby neighbourhood heard gunshots at 02:00 local time and heavy shooting continued for five hours.

    There were reports of an attempted mutiny and that soldiers had seized weapons to free some of their colleagues who had been detained.

    The minister of defence issued a statement saying that Col Condé had been killed.

    The authorities said that the situation is now under control and that a search is under way to find the soldiers involved.

    Read more:

  17. Tension as hundreds flee homes before Guinea vote

    Hundreds of people in Kankan city in eastern Guinea have fled their homes as tension rises before Sunday's presidential election in which Alpha Condé is seeking a controversial third term.

    It follows violent clashes in the city between his supporters and those of opposition UFDG candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo, who had planned to visit the area.

    Kankan is a ruling party stronghold but the wider region is also home to many Fulani people - the same community Mr Diallo hails from, reports BBC Afrique's Lalla Sy.

    Supporters of Cellou Dalein Diallo carry a poster of him
    Image caption: Cellou Dalein Diallo is the president's main rival in the race

    Our reporter says the latest violence appears to be a reprisal for an attack by angry youths on the motorcade of Guinea's Prime Minister Kassory Fofana, who had campaigned in the UFDG stronghold of Labé a fortnight ago.

    Some 30 people were injured in that attack and damage to property was reported.

    More on Guinea: