Kent Fire and Rescue Service

Fire breaks out in rehab care home

Sue Nicholson

BBC News

One person has been treated for the effects of breathing in smoke after a fire broke out in a bedroom on the second floor of the Hothfield Brain Injury Rehabilitation Centre, in Fridd Lane, Hothfield near Ashford, on Sunday evening.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene at 18:00 GMT, and a partial evacuation of the building was required.

Everyone in the care home was accounted for, with firefighters assisting staff to support residents.

The fire was extinguished and a large ventilation fan was used to clear the affected part of the building of smoke, crews said.

Five taken to hospital after minibus crash

Sheerness minibus crash
Swale Weather

Fire crews had to rescue a trapped car driver after a crash with a minibus in Sheerness.

The driver plus four occupants of the bus were taken by ambulance to Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham - two as "priority patients", according to South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb).

A spokesman said injuries included a head injury and back pain.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said crews had to cut the roof off the car to reach the driver, who was trapped inside.

Part of the coastal road was closed while police, ambulance and fire crews dealt with the crash, shortly before 10:00 GMT.

A SECAmb spokesman said the driver of the minibus separately attended a minor injuries unit.

No details of any of the casualties' conditions have been given.

Sheerness minibus crash
Swale Weather
The man who proposed to his girlfriend with the help of an entire fire station
This Ashford man had a plan to propose to his firefighter girlfriend and got all her colleagues to help.

A burning question

Charlie Rose

Reporter, BBC South East Today

This Ashford man hatched an ambitious plan to propose to his girlfriend, with the help of an entire fire station.

But what was her answer?

Dartford coffee warehouse fire finally out

Hamish Mureddu-Reid

BBC News Online, South East

A fire at a coffee warehouse in Dartford has been put out a week after it broke out.

The blaze at UCC Coffee's roastery in Riverside Industrial Estate was reported by a member of staff at about 05:45 BST on 11 October.

Nearby flats were evacuated and residents were advised to keep their doors and windows closed because of the smoke.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said the fire had been put out and the responsibility for the site handed back to the owners.

A fire service spokesman said the coffee production area of the building had sustained "minimal damage".

The cause of the fire is still being investigated, he said.

Fire finally out at Margate warehouse

Westwood industrial unit fire
Simon Moores

A fire at a warehouse in Westwood in Margate has finally been extinguished, 25 days after it started, Kent Fire and Rescue says.

At its height about 80 firefighters were tackling the blaze which broke out at about 06:30 BST on 15 September in the industrial unit, with a large black plume of smoke being visible for several miles.

Part of the building collapsed and demolition experts were brought in to allow firefighters better access to the building.

Firefighters tackle Margate blaze
Dave Larkins

The fire service said the emergency phase of the operation has now come to a close.

"Duty of care will then be handed to the land owner, and Thanet District Council will be the facilitators to the recovery process," a spokesman said.

A boy and two girls, all aged 12, and a 13-year-old girl were arrested on suspicion of arson and released while investigations continue, Kent Police said.

Fire crews to remain at Margate industrial unit site for a few weeks more

Sue Nicholson

BBC News

Westwood industrial unit fire
Simon Moores

Firefighters tackling a fire at the Westwood industrial estate, in Margate, since 15 September have said they expect to remain on site until late October.

The blaze broke out at 06:30 BST, damaging at least 40% of a warehouse containing 16,000 bales of household waste.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service director of operations, Sean Bone-Knell, said there would still be smoke for the next few weeks, and advised members of the public to keep doors and windows closed if they were concerned.

Westwood industrial unit fire
Kent Fire & Rescue Service

At its height, about 18 fire appliances were at the scene of the fire.

There are now about three fire engines during the day with a "watching brief" during the evening, Mr Bone-Knell said.

"We are doing all we can to extinguish this fire.

"It's a very complex operation, and there's a huge amount of rubbish and waste here that needs to be turned over and fully extinguished before we can leave the site," he said.