Rwandan troops kill 14 militants in Mozambique operation
Rwandan forces killed 14 militants during their recent operations in Mozambique, an army spokesperson has said.
One Rwandan soldier was injured in one of the missions but is recovering well.
The operations were launched in different areas of the north between 24 and 28 June.
The coastal town of Mocimboa da Praia was seized by Islamist militant fighters a year ago.
Rwanda deployed 1,000 soldiers to Mozambique to help in the fight against militants.
Other African countries are in the process of deploying their troops.
The Rwandan forces were reported to have helped the Mozambican army retake a base from the Islamist militants earlier this week.
The conflict, which began in 2017, has forced hundreds of thousands of Mozambicans from their homes and has caused the shut-down of a multi-billion dollar gas project.
Rwanda genocide suspect extradited from Netherlands
BBC Great Lakes
The Netherlands has extradited to Rwanda a 72-year-old suspect accused of complicity in the 1994 genocide.
Venant Rutunga was immediately taken into custody after he left a Dutch plane that arrived in Rwanda's capital, Kigali, on Monday night.
In a statement, Rwanda’s state prosecutor commended the Dutch
authorities for “contributing to the global effort to fight impunity”.
Mr Rutunga was arrested in the Netherlands in 2019 on an arrest
warrant issued by Rwanda.
He fought against his extradition but lost the legal battle in May.
The authorities in Rwanda accuse Mr Rutunga of orchestrating the killing of around 1,000 people from the Tutsi ethnic group when he served as a state agricultural officer in the southern part of the country.
Rwanda extends Covid lockdown
Rwanda has extended a lockdown that prohibits unnecessary movements in the capital Kigali and eight other districts as it analyses the Covid situation.
People will still not be able to leave their houses for another five days.
The current lockdown had seen businesses, schools and transport operators close to reduce the spread of coronavirus.
Only 15 people are allowed to attend burials as Covid-related fatalities increase.
The extension has been announced for another five days after which a review will be done to determine the gains.
Rwandan President Paul Kagame and Evariste Ndayishimiye of Burundi have recently expressed their wishes to end hostilities, that included military confrontations.
Cross-border trade and the movement of people were hugely affected by the row that now looks to be easing after six years.
Extradited driver sentenced to 25 years for genocide
BBC Great Lakes
A man extradited to Rwanda from the Netherlands has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for genocide crimes committed when he was 19.
During Jean-Claude Iyamuremye’s five-year trial, he denied involvement in the 1994 genocide when around 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were
killed in 100 days by Hutu extremists.
The high court
judge said Iyamuremye had been a member of a youth militia that
hunted and killed members of the Tutsi
community in his neighbourhood in the
The 45-year-old defended himself, saying his own mother was a Tutsi.
The judge said he
could have sentenced Iyamuremye to life, but had decided not
to as he was “so young” when the crimes were committed and he
had also saved some Tutsi families.
arrested in 2013 in the Netherlands, where he had worked as a driver for staff at the Israeli and Finnish embassies.
He was sent back to Rwanda by the Dutch authorities in 2016.
WTO head hails planned vaccine hubs in Africa
The head of the World Trade Organization says Africa is working with the European Union and other partners to create regional hubs to produce vaccines.
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said facilities would be established in South Africa, Senegal and Rwanda. Nigeria is also being considered.
She said the over-centralisation of vaccine production was incompatible with equitable access, especially during a health crisis.
French President Emmanuel Macron said he was "delighted" by the news, saying the South Africa hub was going to be the first of many, news agency AFP reports.
Africa is facing a major shortage of coronavirus jabs. The United Nations has urged countries that can to donate surplus supplies to the continent.
Hotel Rwanda hero could be jailed for life
The man portrayed as a hero in a Hollywood movie about the Rwandan genocide could face a life sentence in jail for alleged terrorism offences.
Prosecutors accuse Paul Rusesabagina of directing deadly rebel attacks from abroad in recent years.
The attacks were carried out by the National Liberation Front, an opposition group he was involved with while abroad. They’ve called for a life sentence plus 170 years in jail.
His has denied the charges against him.
Mr Rusesabagina well known after he was depicted in Hotel
Rwanda, Hollywood’s take on the 1994 Rwandan Genocide.
His character tries to save hundreds of ethnic Tutsis while
working as a hotel manager.
Mr Rusesabagina later left Rwanda, becoming a fierce critic
of President Paul Kagame.
But last year while visiting Dubai he says he was tricked
into boarding a flight to Kigali.
Mr Rusesabagina denies the nine terrorism-related charges
against him and pulled out of the trial in March, saying he “was not expecting
justice” from the court.
Rwanda fears Covid lockdown as cases spike
BBC Great Lakes
Rwanda's health ministry is reporting a sharp rise in Covid-19 cases and deaths despite ongoing vaccination efforts days after President Paul Kagame warned there could be a "new lockdown".
Over the weekend, the president urged people to be more cautious, saying there were signs that a third wave could come from the border - a reference to Uganda where cases are also rising.
New infections in Rwanda have risen to 1,307 in the last seven days
from 334 in the previous week, while deaths rose to 12 from seven in the
same period, the health ministry reports.
Nearly 390,000 people have so far been vaccinated - and most of those have had their second jabs.
Health Minister Daniel Ngamije says nearly five million more vaccines are expected and more have been ordered.
“Our target is to
reach 7.8 million people vaccinated early next year,” he told the state broadcaster.
“People should observe the measures so that in the next six
months we may resume normal life because at 60% vaccination the virus can’t be
a threat anymore."
Rwanda has reported a total of more than 28,000 cases and 372 deaths.
Fears for Rwandan fugitive arrested in Mozambique
BBC Great Lakes
Fears are growing that a
Rwandan journalist who sought asylum in Mozambique may have been illegally
deported back home.
Cassien Ntamuhanga, who had
sought safety in the southern African country after escaping from prison in
Rwanda in 2017, was detained on 23 May on Inhaca Island off the coast of
Mozambique’s capital, Maputo.
The 39-year-old used to run a
Christian radio station in Rwanda’s capital, Kigali, that was not afraid to criticise
In 2014 he was arrested
and later convicted of terrorism offences and sentenced to 25 years in prison - on what he
says were trumped up charges.
He famously escaped from a
high-security jail in central Rwanda three and a half years ago - and during
his time in Mozambique has set up a political movement in exile, the Rwandan
Alliance for the National Pact (RANP).
Earlier in May, he was
sentenced in absentia to another 25 years in prison for allegedly planning
terror attacks on Rwanda.
“We are still trying all ways
to be in touch with Cassien. Unfortunately, nothing yet,” his lawyer in Maputo,
Simao Henrique Buque, has told the BBC.
After his detention in May,
the media in Rwanda reported that he was likely to be deported.
Cléophas Habiyaremye, the
Rwandan refugees’ representative in Mozambique, says this would be illegal as
Rwanda and Mozambique have no extradition treaty.
“In this case it is a
decision to be taken by courts, and not police,” he told the BBC, adding that
the journalist was still a registered asylum seeker.
Rwanda’s ambassador to
Mozambique, Claude Nikobisanzwe, has dismissed allegations by the RANP that the
Rwandan government has been involved in Mr Ntamuhanga’s recent arrest.
He told the private paper
Canal de Mocambique such accusations were “fake news”.
The police in Mozambique have
not yet responded to the BBC’s request for comment.
A number of prominent government critics have been killed in and outside Rwanda in recent years and others jailed. The government has denied involvement
in their deaths.
Ntamuhanga was arrested in 2014 alongside gospel singer Kizito Mihigo, who was
given a 10-year sentence. The pair had often put on shows together and other
Kizito, as he was
popularly known, had drawn ire for a song that
suggested that everyone killed during the 1994 genocide should be remembered
whether they were ethnic Hutus or Tutsis.
The singer was pardoned by the president in
2018, but was arrested two years later for allegedly trying to leave the
country illegally and was found dead in his cell a few days later.
A government investigation found he had taken his own life, but many dispute this.
A senior member of Rwanda's Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) was arrested in a church while attending his child's baptism, the group's spokesperson has said.
Col Augustin Nshimiyimana was
captured in DR Congo’s North Kivu province.
He was the groups's deputy head of intelligence between 2011 and 2019.
Col Nshimiyimana was taken last week by armed men in
civilian attire in Masisi Territory, the FDLR's Cure Ngoma told the BBC.
Mr Ngoma says they believe this operation was carried out by
Rwandan forces in disguise and co-operation with DR Congo’s army.
Rwandan authorities have denied presence of Rwandan troops
on Congolese soil.
The North Kivu and Ituri province are currently under
martial law to allow the army to stop violence and hunt on rebel movements in
Mr Ngoma believes the "state of siege" in the provinces is
“a new battle” that their group “shall survive”.
In DR Congo, the FDLR has been accused of recruiting child
soldiers, rape and systematic looting, while Rwandan government accuse its
members of role in 1994 genocide.
The FDLR spokesperson refute the allegations saying that they
want change in Rwanda through negotiations, what the Rwandan side has called
Daughter's concern for jailed Kagame critic
Paul Rusesabagina says he's been told he won't be given food, water or medicine. His daughter says it's an attempt to force him to cooperate with his trial
Life resumes in Rwanda's volcano-hit district
A sense of normalcy is returning to a Rwandan district ravaged by volcanic activity in the Democratic Republic of Congo two weeks ago.
The volcanic eruption in Mount Nyiragogo killed 32 people and destroyed hundreds of homes in DR Congo's Goma area. It was followed by a series of earth tremors in the neighbouring regions including Rubavu in Rwanda.
Many residents fled after their homes and properties - as well as infrastructure - were destroyed.
In Rubavu, businesses have now started reopening.
Schools and hospitals - which had also been shut in the wake of the volcanic activities - have restarted operations.
Some of the residents have however been complaining about lack of government assistance to rebuild their livelihoods.
Sibomana Ibrahim told the BBC that he was forced to move his parents after their houses collapsed.
"We rented a house in Amakoro after our four houses collapsed. I had to remain here to guard our property, I'm now removing soil and debris from the house.
"We have had no assistance from the government, except for food. They told us to wait, I don't know for how long we'll have to wait," he said.
Niyoyita Zakia said she moved to the capital Kigali and later returned to Rubavu and was now living in a friend's house. She said it was difficult providing for herself and her eight children.
The authorities in Rubavu have said all those affected will get help but have not indicated what form this will be.
Community activist falls to his death in Rwanda
BBC Great Lakes
Bukuru Ntwari, a campaigner against threats to Banyamulenge people living in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, has died after
falling from a commercial building in Rwanda’s capital Kigali, his family has
His death on Wednesday
morning was widely reported as suspected suicide by local media.
However family members
have told the BBC that they suspect "a pre-planned murder of our lead
voice", one close relative to Mr Ntwari said.
bureau said it has launched a probe into the death.
Mr Ntwari, a lawyer,
had been an outspoken advocate against "killings of Banyamulenge" in their home
region of DR Congo’s South Kivu province. He called it "genocide".
Several ethnically linked
armed groups fighting each other in that region are accused of attacks against groups that live in the mountainous region.
Some are reportedly backed by the govennments of either Burundi or Rwanda, which the countries’
authorities have denied.