The 3D version of the next Harry Potter film has been ditched so as not to delay its release in standard 2D, Warner Bros Studios has said.
The studio said it could not complete the 3D conversion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 in time for its 19 November UK and US release date.
Warner Bros said it did not want to keep fans waiting for the film.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 will still be released in both 2D and 3D on 15 July 2011, it added.
This second instalment will now be the first film in the Harry Potter series to be 3D.
In a statement on Friday, the studio said: "Despite everyone's best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality.
"We do not want to disappoint fans who have long anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey.
"We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate Harry Potter experience."
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was expected to be the seventh and final book in the Harry Potter series, but in the past week author JK Rowling has revealed she might write more books about the boy wizard.
Rowling told US chat show host Oprah Winfrey that the characters were still in her head and she "could definitely" write several new books about them.
"I'm not going to say I won't," she said.
Harry Potter's planned conversion to 3D comes amid a growing trend towards making blockbuster films available in both 2D and 3D.
In September the Film Distributors' Association said that 3D films had helped boost UK box office takings by 8% so far this year compared with the similar period of 2009.
It said that £786m had been generated between January and August, and that three of the year's top five films had been in 3D, which had helped to boost revenue as tickets are more expensive.