UK

Youth quizzed over terror hotline access claim

Person on phone. Generic file pic.
Image caption The Team Poison group were alleged to have made more than 700 calls to the hotline.

A teenager arrested over claims hackers accessed Scotland Yard's anti-terror hotline is to be questioned by detectives for a second night.

A 17-year-old arrested in the West Midlands has been transferred to London but a 16-year-old was released on bail.

Hackers Team Poison posted recordings online to YouTube, which apparently show them speaking to the hotline, and officers discussing operations.

The Met Police denied claims the confidential hotline had been hacked.

The teenagers were arrested on suspicion of offences under the Malicious Communications Act. They were also held in relation to a separate investigation under the Computer Misuse Act.

The youth bailed, who was also arrested in the West Midlands, has been told to return to a police station in the region pending further inquiries.

Scotland Yard's Central e-Crime Unit said it was aware hoaxers had made calls to the hotline and made recordings of their conversations with anti-terrorist hotline staff.

A spokesman said: "Public reporting is an important part of the fight against terrorism and any attempt to disrupt this service will be investigated thoroughly."

On Thursday, after claims that the Team Poison group had made 700 calls to the hotline, Ailsa Beaton, director of information at Scotland Yard, said police remained confident their communications systems were secure and had not been breached.

In a statement, she said: "The public can remain confident in the ability to communicate in confidence and that the integrity of the Anti-Terrorist Hotline remains in place."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites