Moors Murderer Brady leaves hospital

Ian Brady
Image caption Brady has been fed through a tube since refusing food 12 years ago

Moors Murderer Ian Brady has been discharged from Fazakerley Hospital, Merseyside, after spending two nights there following a seizure.

He has been returned, under police escort, to high-security Ashworth Hospital which said in a statement he remained "physically unwell".

Brady, 74, who underwent a series of tests at Fazakerley, is due to attend a mental health tribunal on Monday.

He and Myra Hindley were jailed in 1966 for killing three children.

Brady's solicitor Richard Nicholas said earlier his client was "hopeful" Monday's planned tribunal - over his application to be transferred to a Scottish prison and be allowed to die - would still go ahead.

A spokesman for Ashworth Hospital - which is in Maghull, Merseyside - said earlier that Brady had been treated in a single room.

He was accompanied "at all times" by two Ashworth nurses with other Ashworth staff stationed outside his room.

Brady, who has been tube fed since refusing food 12 years ago, has been a patient at Ashworth since 1985.


Brady's solicitor Richard Nicholas said his client was "hopeful" that the tribunal would go ahead as planned.

On Tuesday, the BBC learned of a letter written by Brady in the last few days in which he complained that the public and press would only be able to view the tribunal via videolink rather than in person, a situation he described as a "parody" of a public tribunal.

He gave no indication of any health problems in the letter which might have explained his admission to hospital for medical treatment.

Image caption Myra Hindley died in jail in November 2002, aged 60

Brady has been on successive hunger strikes since 1999 in an attempt to kill himself.

The murderer is sectioned under the Mental Health Act, so he is not allowed to take his own life.

Seizures, which can start at any age and may be a one-off event, result from abnormalities in the brain, but there are many different types and causes.

They may be a sign of underlying health problems like epilepsy or a brain tumour, although some remain unexplained.

Brady and his girlfriend Myra Hindley lured children and teenagers to their deaths, torturing them before burying their bodies on Saddleworth Moor, Greater Manchester.

Pauline Reade, 16, disappeared on her way to a dance on 12 July 1963 and John Kilbride, 12, was snatched four months later.

Keith Bennett was abducted on 16 June 1964 after he left home to visit his grandmother.

Lesley Ann Downey, 10, was lured away from a funfair on Boxing Day 1964 while Edward Evans, 17, was killed in October 1965.

Brady was jailed for life at Chester Assizes in 1966 for the murders of John Kilbride, Lesley Ann Downey and Edward Evans, while Hindley was jailed for life for killing Lesley Ann Downey and Edward Evans and shielding Brady after John Kilbride's murder.

In 1987 the pair finally admitted killing Keith Bennett and Pauline Reade. Both were taken back to Saddleworth Moor in 1987 to help police find the remains of the missing victims but only Pauline Reade's body was found.

Hindley died in jail in November 2002, aged 60.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites