Piers Morgan questioned for second time over hacking

Piers Morgan Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Piers Morgan left the Daily Mirror in 2004

Former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan has been questioned by police for a second time about phone-hacking allegations.

The journalist confirmed in a tweet that he had attended a police interview and added: "No, I wasn't arrested. Sorry to disappoint everyone."

He was first questioned in 2013.

The Metropolitan Police said a 50-year-old man was interviewed under caution in connection with suspected conspiracy to intercept telephone voicemails.

Scotland Yard, which did not name Mr Morgan, said the man was interviewed by appointment and had not been arrested.

'Voluntary interview'

Mr Morgan was interviewed by officers from Operation Golding, the investigation into allegations of phone message interception at Mirror Group Newspapers, which is a strand of the wider Operation Weeting.

In a statement released to the Guardian newspaper, former CNN host Mr Morgan said: "Some time ago I was asked to attend an interview with officers from Operation Golding when I was next in the UK.

"This was further to a previous voluntary interview I provided in December 2013.

"I attended that interview today. As this is an ongoing investigation, I am unable to comment further until its conclusion."

'Fake pictures'

Mr Morgan was editor of the Daily Mirror from 1995 until 2004, when he was sacked after the newspaper admitted that photographs it had published purportedly showing British soldiers abusing an Iraqi were fake.

He joined the Mirror from the News of the World, where he had been appointed editor in 1994 at the age of 28.

In recent years he has been a television talk show host in both the UK and the US.

He was a host on US cable network CNN between 2011 and 2014 and is also a former Britain's Got Talent judge.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites