Operation Elveden: Sun reporter Tom Wells will not face retrial
Sun journalist Tom Wells will not face a retrial over a charge of conspiring to commit misconduct in public office, the Old Bailey has heard.
Last week Mr Wells was cleared of two other charges linked to alleged illegal payments to public officials.
The jury could not reach a verdict on a third charge, but he has now been told prosecutors will not seek a retrial.
His co-accused, Mark Blake, a former officer at a secure immigration removal centre, still faces prosecution.
Mr Blake, 43, from Slough, is accused of receiving nearly £8,000 in return for information.
Mr Wells had been on trial along with three other journalists as part of Operation Elveden, the Met Police investigation into allegations of inappropriate payments to police and public officials.
Ex-Daily Mirror reporter Graham Brough and the Sun's Neil Millard and Brandon Malinsky were cleared of conspiring to commit misconduct in public office.
Speaking after a hearing at the Old Bailey on Friday, Mr Wells said his life had been "torn apart" by the case and Operation Elveden was "failing".
He said he was "delighted" to be cleared but described the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) as "misguided".
Last week charges against nine journalists of making illegal payments to public officials were dropped by the CPS.
One of those reporters, Vince Soodin, has called for the Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders to resign, branding the investigation a "witch-hunt".