Hampshire village funeral for 40 Commando Royal Marine

  • Published
Marine Adam Brown - Ministry of Defence
Image caption,
Marine Brown is the 14th member of 40 Commando to be killed during the deployment

The funeral of a Royal Marine who died in Afghanistan has taken place in Hampshire with full military honours.

Marine Adam Brown, 25, from Frimley in Surrey, was killed in an explosion on 1 August while on foot patrol in the Sangin district of Helmand province.

Marine Brown, who married his wife Amy in December 2009, is the 14th member of 40 Commando to be killed in Afghanistan during the current deployment.

The service was held at his family's village church, St Peter's in Yateley.

A book of condolences has also been opened for the soldier who was based at Norton Fitzwarren in Somerset.

His widow and parents Jenny and Robert joined family and friends for the service and Marine Brown's Union flag-draped coffin was taken into the church by pall bearers from the Royal Marines.

Mr Brown said in a eulogy that his son was determined, brave and had courage.

"He grew into a special man entirely comfortable with the path that he trod," he told mourners.

"Farewell my precious son, I love you too."

'True inspiration'

Marine Brown's widow also read out a poem in honour of her husband.

A three-volley salute was then fired outside the medieval church.

The service was broadcast on loud speakers to mourners on the green outside the church and was followed by a private burial.

Speaking following his death, the serviceman's parents described their son's death as an "irreplaceable" loss, while Mrs Brown said her husband was "her hero".

She said: "You are a true inspiration to all who knew you and you made me the proudest woman in the world when I became your wife. I love you now, always and forever."

Marine Brown joined the Royal Marines in 2004 and was part of a reassurance patrol from 3 Troop, Alpha Company, helping to provide security for local people, when he was killed by improvised explosive device (IED).

His body was repatriated to RAF Lyneham on 5 August, along with that of Lance Sergeant Dale McCallum from the 1st Battalion Scots Guards, who died on the same day.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.