Raoul Moat: No police action taken against Taser firm

  • Published
Peter Boatman
Image caption,
Mr Boatman was said to have felt "ashamed" by what had happened

No action is to be taken against a firm that provided illegal Taser weapons which Northumbria Police used during a stand-off with gunman Raoul Moat.

Northamptonshire Police found firearms offences were committed by Pro-Tect Systems of Daventry.

The force was investigating whether it breached its licence terms when supplying X12 Tasers which were still being tested by scientists.

It said taking action against the firm was not in the public interest.

Peter Boatman, a former policeman who was director of operations for Pro-Tect Systems, was found dead at his home in Reynard Way, Northampton, on 1 October.

The 57-year-old is understood to have killed himself three days after the Home Office revoked Pro-Tect Systems' licence to import and sell Tasers.

'Tragic death'

"Northamptonshire Police have concluded their investigation into the supply of X12 Taser guns and XREP ammunitions by Daventry-based Pro-Tect Systems Limited," Supt Sean Bell said.

"The investigation identified that offences against the Firearms Act 1968 had been committed.

"However, taking into account all of the available evidence, including the recent tragic death of operations director Peter Boatman, we have concluded that it is not in the public interest to take any action and the investigation has now been closed."

A force spokeswoman said the matter had not been referred to the Crown Prosecution Service.

"Police are under no obligation to refer cases to the Crown Prosecution Service when the evidence would not be strong enough or was not in the public interest as in this case," the spokeswoman added.

The force said it would be up to Pro-Tect Systems to reapply for a licence.

Daventry MP Chris Heaton-Harris said that he backed the police decision to take no further action.

Raoul Moat went on the rampage with a gun in Northumberland in July after he shot Samantha Stobbart, 22.

He killed Chris Brown and wounded Pc David Rathband.

The gunman was on the run for a week after the shootings before he was caught by police in Rothbury, Northumberland.

Around the BBC

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.