Two County Durham youngsters who proved real life-savers were chosen to switch on Christmas lights.
Quick-thinking Christian Spencer, 11, of Bishop Auckland, helped his eight-year-old brother Andrew when chewing gum became lodged in his throat.
Jack Phillips, 14, of Delves Lane near Consett, gave first aid to a 98-year-old man who collapsed at a bus station.
Council chairman Mac Williams invited the pair to switch on the festive lights at County Hall on Monday.
Christian, who attends St John's RC School in Bishop Auckland, was playing near his Coundon Grange home in May when his brother, Andrew, collapsed and lay motionless on the floor.
His mother Lisa Spencer said :"We are so proud of him. He's always looked out for his little brother.
"They are closer than ever now."
Jack Phillips, a Year 10 pupil at St Bede's RC School in Lanchester, came to the aid of a 98-year-old who man collapsed at Consett bus station and comforted him until an ambulance arrived.
His mother Michelle said: "I didn't know what Jack had done until I got a call from the police saying Jack had saved someone's life.
Mr Williams said: "Their rapid response and quick thinking was amazing and they are a credit to their families, their schools and their county."