Inside Out returns with an investigation into e-cigarettes
Inside Out returns on Monday, 1 September 2014 with a shocking report into what we found in e-cigarettes.
The North East in particular has a very bad record when it comes to smoking related deaths. Many believe switching to e-cigarettes could help to turn that around.
However when we put a sample of four e-liquids to the test, one of them returned a disturbing result.
The butterscotch flavour sold under the VIP brand was found to contain diacetyl.
Whilst it is safe to eat, it is harmful if inhaled, which of course is exactly what happens when you are vaping.
The chemical is known to have caused "popcorn workers' lung". It's a condition found in those who work in the popcorn industry and in come cases is so serious it leads to the need for a transplant.
When we told VIP about our findings they confirmed that they had also found it in their testing and the product had been withdrawn from sale.
They said they were "disappointed" that we were able to purchase it and were taking the issue very seriously.
Some medics believe that vaping has got to be much less harmful than cigarettes themselves because they contain far fewer harmful elements.
However, Tyneside respiratory physician Dr Graham Burns argues if Inside Out found a rogue chemical in one random sample how can anyone be sure of what's in the many other e-cigarette products available on the market?