Robert Hughes attack: Crete retrial delayed
The mother of a footballer who was attacked on a Greek island six years ago says she is furious the retrial of four men has been delayed for nearly a year.
Oxford United player Robert Hughes was left in a coma after the assault outside a club in Crete, in June 2008.
Four men from Surrey were convicted of causing grievous bodily harm and given suspended jail terms but appealed.
Maggie Hughes travelled to Crete to be told the retrial had been postponed.
A three-day strike by lawyers in Greece meant the hearing will now not take place until September 2015.
Mrs Hughes said: "We are all sitting here, all the witnesses, my son who is the victim and we have got to come back next September to go through this again.
"Next September - is that justice? Seven-and-a-half years after my son was attacked.
"This case has dragged on far too long.
'Hit by a bottle'
"He has been through horrific times and I am really saddened to think I have had to bring him all the way over here again."
Curtis Taylor, Daniel Bell, Sean Branton, from Horley, and Joseph Bruckland from Hookwood, were all convicted of causing grievous bodily harm in a Greek court and given suspended jail terms in 2012.
But they appealed against their convictions and were allowed to return to the UK pending the retrial which was scheduled to start on Wednesday.
Mr Hughes, from, Croydon, has permanent brain damage after being hit with a bottle outside a nightclub in Malia.
He spent three months in hospital in Greece and had three brain operations but began playing football again.
Two other men were cleared of the attack.