Wood Green police shooting: Man dies in 'plot' to free prisoner from custody

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionTom Symonds reports from the scene of the operation

A man was shot dead by police during an operation relating to a suspected plot to free a prisoner.

The 28-year-old was shot close to the back of Wood Green Crown Court, north London, at about 09:00 GMT.

The incident took place as Erwin Amoyaw-Gyamfi, 29, and Erun Izzet, 32, were due to be transported to the court in a custody van for sentencing.

Two people were arrested near Bracknell Close on suspicion of conspiring to help someone escape from custody.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said a gun that appears to be non-police issue was found at the scene and was being examined by ballistics and forensic experts.

Initial accounts from police suggest a fire arms officer discharged his weapon once, and analysis of the ammunition confirmed that a single shot was fired, it said.

Sentencing has gone ahead for Izzet and Amoyaw-Gyamfi, relating to an attempted "professional hit" in October.

They had previously pleaded guilty to a range of offences, including possession of a sub-machine gun and possession of a self loading pistol and bullets with the intent to endanger life.

The court heard they were intercepted by police on their way to "kill, maim or wound" someone on 13 October 2015.

Image caption Izzet and Amoyaw-Gyamfi were jailed for offences including possession of a Skorpion sub-machine gun, similar to the one pictured, and ammunition

There was a heavy police presence inside and outside the court as Judge Nicholas Browne QC sentenced the pair to 14 years each.

In granting their particular wish to be sentenced today, he said: "I completely ignore and put out of my mind the serious incident outside the court area, not far from where I am".

The Met said the operation in Wood Green was "intelligence-led" and had resulted in the arrests of four people in total.

The two arrested near Bracknell Close were aged 30 and 19.

In nearby Barratt Avenue, police also arrested a 31-year-old and a 25-year-old. The Met said these were "related" arrests but did not specify the nature.

Following the shooting, police cordoned off the road at the junction of Bracknell Close and Olympus Grove, near Winkfield Road.

A white forensics tent was erected in the residential street and officers wearing balaclavas were at the scene.

An air ambulance was also called but the man was confirmed dead shortly before 10:30 GMT.

There were no reports of any other injuries.

Fatal police-related shootings in England and Wales

In the past five years there have been seven fatal police shootings:

  • 2010: Alistair Bell was shot dead by police near Huddersfield, west Yorkshire
  • 2011: Michael Fitzpatrick was shot dead by police in Brighton, east Sussex; Mark Duggan was shot dead by police in Tottenham, north London
  • 2012: Anthony Grainger was shot dead by police near Warrington, Cheshire
  • 2014: Dean Joseph shot dead by police in Islington, north London
  • 2015: James Fox was shot dead by police in Enfield; in October, Richard Davies was shot dead by police at St Neots in Cambridgeshire.

Ashley Howard said he was working on scaffolding and saw the air ambulance arrive.

He said: "Next minute I see armed police and a guy on the floor.

"The air ambulance people tried to resuscitate him. They took him away in a body bag."

Tenant Angie Buzzacott said it was a nice, quiet estate and she was trying to do as much as she could to "keep everyone calm".

Image copyright KepceKazan-Lndn
Image caption A Twitter user reported seeing 'police everywhere' and a medical helicopter

The IPCC said the deceased man's family had been informed of his death but no formal identification had yet taken place.

Commissioner Cindy Butts said: "I give my assurances that a thorough, independent investigation into the circumstances is under way. My thoughts are with all of those affected by today's events."

The Met's internal investigator the Directorate of Professional Standards has also been informed.

Police confirmed the incident was not related to terrorism.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said: "Following discussions with the police, there is an increased security presence at Wood Green Crown Court today. The court continues to operate as normal."

The spokesman said he could not comment further because of the ongoing police investigation.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites