Beds, Herts & Bucks

Joseph Kent killing: Tariq Bostan sentenced for starting fatal fight

Joseph Kent
Image caption Joseph Kent, 24, died two days after the fight outside the Xscape building in Milton Keynes

A man who started a drunken fight in which a 24-year-old man was killed has been given a six-month jail sentence.

Tariq Bostan, 28, had rowed with Northampton tattoo artist Joseph Kent, who was then hit twice by his brother Samir Boston.

Mr Kent suffered a brain haemorrhage and died two days after the fight outside Xscape in Milton Keynes on 13 January 2013.

At an earlier trial, Samir Bostan was found not guilty of manslaughter.

Luton Crown Court heard how Mr Kent and his wife, Emma, had decided to get something to eat after celebrating her 22nd birthday.

As Mr Kent, his friend Andrew Curzon-Berners and brother Matthew Kent were waiting in a queue for Kentucky Fried Chicken, they thought Tariq Bostan was pushing in.

Brain haemorrhage

Tariq Bostan hit Mr Curzon-Berners, causing a cut lip and eye, before knocking out Matthew Kent.

Samir Bostan and Joseph Kent became involved and the fatal punches were delivered.

Mr Kent had been punched on the jaw and upper part of his neck. He suffered a brain haemorrhage and died two days later.

Samir Bostan, 27, of Clarkes Spring, Tring, was found not guilty of Mr Kent's manslaughter at Luton Crown Court earlier this year.

He had been sentenced to 26 weeks in jail for causing actual bodily harm to Mr Curzon-Berners.

Tariq Bostan, of Sarum Road, Luton appeared for sentence having pleaded guilty on 14 June 2013 to two charges of causing actual bodily harm against Matthew Kent and Mr Curzon-Berners.

Stephen Moses, for the defence, said Tariq Bostan had spent 116 days in custody and had been on curfew, the equivalent of a 49-week sentence.

Judge Richard Foster passed a six-month jail sentence, meaning Tariq Bostan will spend no more time in custody.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites