Man jailed for sex attacks on girls in Bracknell

Image caption,
Terry Bryant admitted 14 offences including rape and kidnapping

A man who kidnapped girls, driving two of them to a hideaway and sexually attacking them, has been jailed.

Terry Bryant, 41, from north London, kidnapped a 16-year-old from Bracknell last November and attacked her in a converted lorry in woodland.

He returned to the town in May but his next victim fought him off. A few hours later he abducted a 15-year-old and sexually attacked her at the hideaway.

Bryant admitted a total of 14 offences and was jailed indefinitely.

Bryant, who also threatened to kill his victims during their ordeals, pleaded guilty to rape, kidnapping, sexual assault, making threats to kill and possessing a firearm.

Reading Crown Court heard the first victim was abducted from the street in Bracknell as she walked home on 4 November last year.

'Terrifying for victims'

Bryant, of Waverley Road, Tottenham, put a woolly hat over her head so she could not see and drove her to an isolated wooded area in Warfield, north of the town, where he had a living space in a converted lorry.

The second victim, 14, was abducted from her home after Bryant knocked on the door pretending to know somebody from her family.

Mr Gumpert said: "Having got inside the house the defendant then put his hand over her mouth and told her that he would kill her if she screamed."

He walked her away from the house and told her to climb a wall.

Mr Gumpert said: "Fortunately [she] at this stage had the courage and presence of mind, and perhaps also the luck and opportunity, to push him."

Image caption,
Police found an air pistol at Bryant's hideaway

The girl managed to escape before Bryant had the chance to take her to his hideaway.

The court heard less than an hour later he grabbed his third victim, aged 15, by the neck.

She too was driven out to his converted home where she was shown a gun and an air pistol.

The court heard Bryant was identified after police were given information which led them to the scene at Warfield.

'Feeling repulsed'

Officers found Bryant's car and matched the wheels on the vehicle to CCTV taken at the scene of the abductions.

The laptop found in Bryant's car contained 461 indecent images.

Judge John Reddihough sentenced Bryant to an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment for public protection, with a minimum term of seven years.

Image caption,
Police traced Bryant through CCTV images of his Toyota Celica car

He said it might be that Bryant would never be considered safe for release.

The judge told him: "These offences were very, very serious indeed and terrifying for your victims.

"This man is a danger in future, particularly to teenage girls and young women."

Supt Rob Mason, from Thames Valley Police, said: "The offences he committed were truly horrific and would leave any reasonable person feeling repulsed.

"He preyed on innocent young girls who were going about their normal day-to-day lives.

"Despite the palpable sense of alarm, the community came together and made a concerted effort to assist us - for this we are incredibly grateful."

Bryant pleaded not guilty to two counts of false imprisonment and one count of threats to kill, which will lie on file.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.