Norovirus outbreak closes Peterborough water park
An outbreak of the sickness bug norovirus was responsible for children becoming ill at a Cambridgeshire water park, tests have confirmed.
Bretton Water Park in Peterborough was closed as a precaution at the weekend after reports of children becoming sick and developing rashes.
A city council spokesman said its environmental health officers had confirmed the presence of the virus.
He said the park would remain closed until further tests were completed.
Initial checks revealed the council-owned park's maintenance and cleaning procedures were up-to-date.
"It is highly probable that the virus originated with a child or children attending the park who were already infected," the spokesman added.
"We are keen for the park to reopen at the earliest possible date, however we will only do so when we can be sure that it is safe. Public health and safety remains our main priority."