Drug arrests in Cambridge riverside homeless double death probe

Officers investigating two deaths in Cambridge
Image caption The couple died at a popular riverside spot in Cambridge

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of supplying a class A drug as part of an investigation into the deaths of a homeless couple in Cambridge.

It is believed Kim Reid and Jimmy Sinclair had taken drugs shortly before they died on Tuesday afternoon, close to Jesus Green lock.

A homeless charity said the pair, in their 40s, were to marry in September.

A 38-year-old man arrested on Wednesday has been bailed. A 45-year-old man remains in custody in the city.

Miss Reid collapsed near the riverside on Chesterton Road at about 12:05 BST on Tuesday.

'Back on track'

Mr Sinclair was taken ill shortly afterwards. Both were treated by paramedics, but died at the scene.

The exact cause of their deaths has not yet been determined.

Image caption Officers cordoned off an area close the River Cam following the deaths

A third man who was with the couple at the time was taken to hospital as a precaution, Cambridgeshire Police said.

Kirsten Lavers, from Cambridge homeless charity Flack, said the couple who died were "well-loved city characters".

Although the two deaths are still being treated as "unexplained", Ms Lavers said it was possible that drugs were involved.

The couple also had alcohol issues, she said.

Ms Lavers added there was concern within the homeless community that some "dodgy drugs" might be circulating within the city.

Magazine sellers

"The message is obviously, 'don't take drugs', but if you're an addict, you don't have that choice," she said.

"It's really important that people are aware of what they are taking, that they take care and if they must take drugs, make sure they are with someone."

The couple had been "in and out of the homeless community for some time", Ms Lavers said, and occasionally helped sell copies of Flack, the charity's magazine.

"People have been shocked and saddened by the deaths," she said.

"They were good people and were reaching a stage in their lives when they were able to think about getting things back on track."

A Cambridgeshire Police spokesman said they were "keeping an open mind as to whether drugs were a factor".

Toxicology tests on the dead couple could take up to eight weeks, he added.

During Wednesday's arrests officers also seized a quantity of suspected controlled drugs.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites