Ten overcome by BBQ used to 'warm Sawston home'

A current carbon monoxide alarm

Ten people had to be taken to hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue thought to have been used to warm a house.

All 13 people escaped from the property in Plantation Road in Sawston, Cambridgeshire, at about 01:30 BST, after a carbon monoxide alarm went off.

However, 10 had to be taken to hospital in ambulances.

A fire service spokesman said using a barbecue indoors was "extremely dangerous" and also a fire hazard.

'Silent killer'

Wayne Swales, from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said barbecues, designed for outdoor use only, should never be brought inside a property.

"Not only does it put the residents at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, but it is also a serious fire hazard," he said.

"Luckily, this property was fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm, which alerted the residents to the situation so they were able to seek help.

"Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and we would urge residents to think about fitting a carbon monoxide detector in their properties."

The East of England Ambulance Service sent four ambulances and a hazardous area response team to the scene.

A spokesman said none of the 10 taken to hospital "were believed to be critically ill".

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites