Michael Green murder trial: Teens' 'vicious assault'

Michael Green Image copyright Issued by Cambs Police 5/6/2014
Image caption The body of Michael Green was found in an underpass in Peterborough

A man was beaten to death by four drunken teenagers in an underpass before they went to a party, a court has heard.

Michael Green, 23, of Muskham, Bretton, was found near Tyesdale in Bretton, Peterborough, in the early hours of 28 May.

Post-mortem examination results showed he died from head injuries.

Three boys, who were aged 15, 16 and 17 at the time, and a girl, who was aged 16, all deny murder.

Cambridge Crown Court heard Mr Green was heavily drunk at the time of his death and was also affected by medication he was taking.

Stamped on face

The four teenagers had also been drinking heavily before the attack. Two had been drinking vodka bought for them by Mr Green and had spent some hours with him at his home.

Image caption A court heard Michael Green was left dead or dying in the underpass while the accused went to a party

During the attack, Mr Green was hit twice with a vodka bottle by the 16-year-old boy. The other boys then kicked and stamped on him repeatedly, the jury heard.

The girl then stamped on his face in revenge after he had accidentally struck her earlier in the evening, the court was told.

Prosecuting, Jane Bickerstaff QC, said: "It began with a vicious assault by the 16-year-old using a weapon inflicting brute force to Michael Green's head and causing him to fall to the floor. He never got up from that blow.

"The other three defendants saw that blow and saw its effects clearly," she said.

"They then got in on the act using... either their fists or their feet while Michael Green remained on the floor defenceless."

The court heard that while drinking at his home earlier with the 16-year-old girl, the 17-year-old boy and a 15-year-old female friend of theirs, Mr Green became very drunk and came on to the 15-year-old, making her feel "uncomfortable", and urging her to dump her boyfriend, the then 16-year-old defendant.

When the 17-year-old defendant told Mr Green to stop he became violent, pinning him by the throat.

The court heard Mr Green was on antidepressants and painkillers after fracturing his collar bone and should not have been drinking while taking them.

Mr Green's mother was at home at the time and when she told him to stop drinking he became abusive and accidentally hit the female defendant.

The three friends then left Mr Green's house to meet the two other defendants who had been at a party.

The court heard that the victim followed them and when they met at the underpass the 16-year-old confronted him about his actions at the house.

Mr Green offered to fight all the boys before shoving the 15-year-old girl out of the way, the court heard.

'Whack him'

This prompted her boyfriend to "whack him" with the bottle, the prosecution claims, starting the attack.

The group robbed Mr Green of his wallet, mobile phone and a neck chain and bracelet, the court heard, before going on to the nearby party.

The four defendants cannot be named because of their ages. Three are now aged 17 and one is 16 years old.

The four also all deny grievous bodily harm.

The girl also denies a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice after allegedly trying to make a witness change her evidence.

The trial continues.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites