Cornwall

First bus strike action postponed

First bus
Image caption First Devon and Cornwall said it was pleased the strike had been postponed

Strike action which had been planned by bus drivers in Cornwall and Devon has been postponed.

The stoppage which was due to take place on 8 November has been put on hold to allow discussions about a new offer that has been tabled by the bus company.

Hundreds of bus services were cancelled when workers went on strike over pay in October.

First Devon and Cornwall said it was pleased the strike had been called off.

Pay increase

In a statement the bus company said: "It follows talks on Friday 2 November during which a new offer was tabled by the company."

The RMT union is consulting its members on the offer which guarantees staff a 2% pay increase from 2 December and a further 2.3% increase from April next year.

The bus company said: "We continue to work with the union to resolve the ongoing dispute."

The First Group employs 675 people in Devon and Cornwall.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites