Thieves stole police car in Cornwall and drove 230 miles

Daniel Toy Image copyright Devon and Cornwall Police/ Tri Service Police
Image caption Daniel Toy has been jailed after stealing a police car in Cornwall and driving it as far as Berkshire with his girlfriend

A couple who stole a police car and drove it more than 200 miles at speeds up to 124mph, have been sentenced.

Daniel Toy, 24, stole the car from Camelford Police station in Cornwall on 8 October, Truro Crown Court heard.

He and his girlfriend, Samantha Poole, 31, drove it to Slough, Berkshire, before being stopped by a stinger.

Toy was jailed for two years and six months. Poole was given a 15 month sentence but was released due to time already spent in custody.

Both have been disqualified from driving.

More on the stolen police car and other Cornwall news

Toy broke a window at an unmanned police station to get to the car keys before the pair drove about 230 miles along the A30, the M5 and then the M4.

After tracking and shadowing the vehicle, police eventually stopped it by using a stinger device at about 03:00 BST.

Image copyright Jonathan Morris
Image caption The car was stopped near junction 7 on the M4, police said

Poole drove the car most of the way to Bristol, clocking a top speed of 107mph.

Toy then took over, averaging 110mph but reaching 124mph on occasions.

They stopped at two service stations on their journey, on one occasion stealing two energy drinks and on another driving off without paying for fuel.

The court heard Toy undertook cars on the motorway and almost lost control in coned off areas.

For the four minutes before being stopped, the car's blue lights were activated.

Toy pleaded guilty to burglary, aggravated vehicle theft, driving while disqualified, making off without payment for fuel and for theft of a television.

Poole admitted making off without payment, taking a vehicle without authority and theft of a TV.

Judge Simon Carr said "this is some of the worst driving I've had to pass sentence on" and "it was mere luck nobody was killed as a result of what you did".

Devon and Cornwall Police declined to comment.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites