Father and son die after Coventry fire
A father and his nine-year-old son have died after a house fire in Coventry.
Andrew Vervoort, 42, and his son Matthew were rescued from their terraced house in Hollis Road, Lower Stoke, just before midnight on Tuesday.
Matthew's mother was rescued by a neighbour but her partner and son died in hospital.
West Midlands Fire Service said the fire started in an unattended chip pan. Post-mortem examinations will be carried out in due course.
Cherie James, a close friend of the family, paid tribute to Mr Vervoort and his son.
She said they were "lovely".
"We were best friends with them, we went on holiday, we went out together. I'm absolutely gutted."