Coventry & Warwickshire

Chinese lantern fire safety warning issued

A fire safety warning has been issued after a Chinese lantern landed on a Warwickshire farm near livestock and hay.

Warwickshire Fire Service said the lantern was lit before landing on a farm in Mappleborough Green, near Studley.

A spokesman said the farmer was lucky not to lose hay or livestock.

He said if the wind had been going in another direction the situation could have been much worse.

Area risk manager Jon Dixon said: "This incident highlights the potential dangers faced when using paper Chinese lanterns.

"On this occasion the farmer was lucky, but it could have been a very different story had the lantern landed on the bales of hay.

"Had a fire been started, it could have put lives at risk and may have even killed livestock."

He added if people intend to light Chinese lanterns they should avoid letting them go near farm land or areas of dense woodland.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites