Grenade found in Coventry after aerosol fire
Families were moved from a block of flats in Coventry after a grenade was discovered by police and fire crews.
Emergency services were called to a small fire at Fremington Court on Friday morning after neighbours reported hearing two small explosions.
The bangs were caused by overheating aerosol cans but crews searching the flat then came across a grenade.
A spokesman said the grenade appeared to be safe but experts were called in as a precaution.
"The bottom had been chiselled out of the grenade and it didn't appear to contain any explosive material - it seemed to be more of a souvenir," the spokesman said.
The area surrounding the flats was cordoned off for up to five hours.
The spokesman said: "It appears the initial fire broke out in a vacant flat and there were no injuries.
"Residents were evacuated to a nearby welfare point - unfortunately their stay had to be prolonged there when we uncovered the grenade."