Cumbria

Dowdales School classrooms open after tumble dryer fire

Dowdales School
Image caption Temporary classrooms have been in place at Dowdales School

Pupils are due to move back into classrooms at a south Cumbria school after they were damaged in a fire.

It broke out in the food-tech room of Dowdales School in Dalton in Furness in September 2011. No-one was seriously hurt.

The source of the fire, which also damaged IT, technology, and textile areas, was traced to a tumble dryer.

The council worked with the school and loss adjusters to carry out repairs, which were completed on Friday.

Head teacher Julie O'Connor said: "I'm delighted to have had the repairs completed to schedule with everything having gone very smoothly.

"The fire caused widespread disruption but everyone has pulled together. It's been a real team effort."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites