Derby

'Cigarette caused' fatal Derby house fire

Mundy Street Derby fire
Image caption A man was also taken to hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation

A house fire which killed an elderly woman was caused by a cigarette that was not fully put out, the fire service said.

The 78-year-old, who has not been named, died in the blaze on Mundy Street, in Derby, on Monday morning.

A Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service investigation concluded the most likely cause of the blaze was accidental due to "smoking materials".

A man was also taken to hospital for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

The fire service said it believed the blaze started in a bedroom.

It has now urged smokers to ensure their cigarettes are fully extinguished and never to smoke while in bed.

Firefighters managed to stop the blaze from spreading to neighbouring houses.

Image caption The top two windows were black from smoke damage

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites