Devon

Woman and son rescued from candle fire in Plymouth flat

A woman and her two-year-old son have been rescued from a fire started by scented candles.

Fire crews used a ladder to reach the pair, who were trapped at the rear of a first floor flat in Mount Gould Road, Plymouth, Devon, at about 0500 GMT.

The alarm was raised by the woman's partner who had got out of the flat after a smoke alarm went off.

Toxic fumes from a plastic bath which was set alight by the candles stopped the woman and child from escaping.

All three were treated by paramedics at the scene for the effects of breathing in smoke.

Ian Morton, watch manager at Greenbank Fire Station in Plymouth, told BBC News: "They were lucky. At this time of year we get many calls concerning fires started by candles.

"They thought the candles had been put out, so it is a warning to everyone to be on their guard."

The flat has been severely damaged by the fire and water from burst pipes affected a flat below the property.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites