Four adults including a woman with a baby, escaped from a burning house in Exeter after a fire started in an airing cupboard.
A woman in a neighbouring property was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke after the fire spread.
The emergency services said a smoke alarm alerted one of the adults who roused the others before they fled.
The fire started at the property in Summerway, Whipton, at about 0700 GMT.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said five crews attended the scene, four from Exeter and one from Topsham.