Drewsteignton listed house damaged in thatch roof fire

  • Published

Fire has seriously damaged the thatch roof of a Grade II listed house in Devon.

More than 100 firefighters from across the county worked through the night to tackle the blaze at the property in Drewsteignton, near Chagford.

A fire in one of the chimneys is thought to have caused the blaze.

No-one was injured, but half the roof was destroyed and the first floor of the two-storey house suffered smoke and water damage.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said fire-resistant boards in the roof prevented even more serious damage.

Heirlooms saved

Area manager Nick Manning said the boards enabled firefighters to salvage many of the owners' possessions and some furniture.

"In particular, we managed to save some valuable paintings which the owners were very concerned about because they were family heirlooms and worth quite a bit of money," he said.

Crews will remain at the property for most of the day to continue damping down.

The elderly couple who own the house are staying at a local hotel.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.