Alex Peguero Sosa death: Lee Dent jailed for murder

Alex Peguero Sosa Image copyright Plymouth Argyle
Image caption Former Plymouth Argyle youth squad player Alex Peguero Sosa died from his injuries

A man has been jailed for murdering a teenage footballer by stabbing him in the neck with a broken bottle.

Lee Dent, 42, from East Portlemouth near Salcombe, killed Alex Peguero Sosa, 17, in Kingsbridge, Devon.

The former Plymouth Argyle youth squad player, from Aveton Gifford, near Kingsbridge, was attacked last July.

Tyre salesman Dent was sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum term of 22-years, at Plymouth Crown Court.

Mr Peguero Sosa had just finished a year at Hartpury College, near Gloucester, when he was murdered.

During the two-week trial, the jury heard how Dent and a group of friends had been drinking in Kingsbridge and Mr Peguero Sosa had also been out socialising.

The court heard the pair had been squaring up to each other at a taxi rank when Dent picked up a bottle and smashed it into Mr Peguero Sosa's neck.

Image caption The court heard how Dent dumped his blood-stained clothes in a recycling bin
Image caption The attacked happened at a taxi rank in Kingsbridge

Prosecutor Simon Laws said: "It was an act of pure aggression from the defendant.

"It was a situation he could have walked away from at any point. Instead, he chose to resort to violence of an extreme kind and a young life was wasted as a result."

The court was told how Dent dumped his blood-soaked clothes in a rubbish bag in a recycling bin, which police found the next day.

Dent told the court he was "not racist" and had Asian, black and Muslim friends.

He said it was possible in the heat of the moment he may have said Mr Peguero Sosa "deserved it", using racially abusive language as he walked away from the scene.

Mr Peguero Sosa's father Alexis said after the case: "To me Alex is still here in my heart. He is still alive for me and I love him and I will never forget him."

Det Insp Ian Ringrose, senior investigating officer, said: "This was a rare and horrific attack on a popular young man who was a promising football player with a bright future ahead of him."

Henry Felton, 23, of Fore Street, Kingsbridge, was convicted of perverting the course of justice and assisting an offender and was sentenced to 16-months imprisonment, suspended for two years, and 200 hours of unpaid work.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites