Dorset

Friends help create meeting place for Dorset burns boy

Will Reynolds
Image caption A number of businesses donated items for the room

Friends of a teenager who was critically injured when he was burnt at a barbecue have helped convert his garage into a meeting place.

Will Reynolds, 16, from Bournemouth, suffered 50% burns when an uninvited guest threw methylated spirits on the barbecue in Highcliffe on 3 May.

He spent two months in hospital and faces two years of recovery.

His friends raised money and enlisted help from numerous businesses to convert his garage.

Drug-induced coma

The room, where Will can play with his friends, includes a number of donated items.

The teenager said: "It is amazing, I couldn't thank people any more for what they have done.

Image caption The 16-year-old had to spend two months in hospital

"I didn't expect anything like this.

"Everyone knows about what happened and everyone has got involved, its been a huge campaign."

He was treated for two months at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol where he was put in an drug-induced coma and underwent a number of treatments, including skin grafts.

His mother Debbie Reynolds added: "I think it is somewhere good for him which he can call his own domain.

"It is great to see all his friends come here."

Dorset Police are investigating the incident but no one has been arrested.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites