Dorset

Sleeping man alerted by neighbours to Weymouth flat fire

A man was saved by neighbours who roused him from his sleep by banging on the door of his Dorset home after seeing smoke coming from under it.

The blaze started after a heater, which the victim, 68, put on before going to sleep, fell over and set fire to the laminate floor of his Weymouth flat.

He escaped the Franklin Road flat at about 01:30 BST. He was taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.

Dorset fire service is warning anyone using electric heaters to take care.

Weymouth watch manager Spencer Nicklin said: "If the heater had been even a couple of inches closer to the settee, it would have set fire to that and him. He was very lucky."

He said older heaters do not have the same mechanism which cuts power when they fall over and they should never be placed less than 3ft (90cm) from anything combustible such as furniture or curtains.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites