Dorset

Bournemouth garden fire spreads to neighbouring properties

Four separate properties in Bournemouth were damaged when a fire in a brazier burning rubbish got out of control.

The fire spread to neighbouring gardens in Baring Road, Southbourne destroying four sheds, a summerhouse and four fences, and damaging a trampoline.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire after 12 simultaneous 999 calls were received shortly before 18:30 BST on Wednesday.

Shocked elderly residents were treated by Red Cross volunteers on the scene.

A liquid petroleum gas (LPG) cylinder was also removed by fire crews.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Station manager Richard Coleman said: "Crews were faced with a really large fire, bigger than a normal shed fire, with several small explosions from items in the sheds."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites