Dorset

Crews tackle Poole gorse fire overnight

The gorse fire at Canford Cliffs, Poole
Image caption The fire, which damaged about one hectare of gorse, is thought to have been caused by a stray firework

A gorse fire in Poole overnight is thought to have been caused by a stray firework, Dorset Fire Service has said.

The fire at Canford Cliffs, which began on Saturday at 20:15 BST, damaged about one hectare (2.5 acres) of gorse.

About 45 firefighters tackled the blaze, which was brought under control by 10:05 BST on Sunday.

Dorset Fire Service urged people not to use fireworks near heath or forest areas.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites