Green light for Poole Harbour bath tub race after safety fears
A New Year's Day bath tub race which had been cancelled on health and safety grounds will go ahead as originally scheduled, it has been confirmed.
The event in Poole, Dorset, was called off after harbour commissioners said safety criteria had not been met.
Poole Harbour Commissioners (PHC) said organisers had appointed a new health and safety consultant.
"This has led to significant improvements to the health and safety provision," it added.
PHC was criticised by dozens of people on social media when it first announced it was cancelling the race, which has been an annual tradition for 43 years.
The following day PHC said it had a "positive" meeting with organisers and was hopeful the event would still happen.
PHC confirmed the event would go ahead in a Facebook post on Saturday.
It added: "PHC will be allocating resources and making a financial contribution to assist in ensuring that everyone has a fun filled day with safety at the forefront."