Dorset

Bournemouth dog nearly dies eating Christmas tree decorations

Marley the Labrador being held by PDSA worker Image copyright PDSA
Image caption Vets found 34 ribbons and number of bones in Marley's stomach

A dog that ate 34 gingerbread Christmas tree decorations has undergone three hours of life-saving surgery.

Marley, a seven-year-old Labrador, took the ornaments, with ribbons attached, from his owner's Bournemouth kitchen.

Owner Rachael Bulmer said she rushed him to a veterinary hospital after he seemed to go into shock.

Vets from the PDSA animal charity removed the ribbons and a number of bones from the dog's stomach, during the operation.

Image copyright PDSA
Image caption The ribbons were attached to homemade gingerbread ornaments

Ms Bulmer, 37, said she thought she had left the decorations, in gift bags, "safely out of reach".

She said: "Over the years Marley's been no stranger to eating things he shouldn't and usually they pass through.

"But this time he started acting strangely and looked like he was going into shock. He was violently sick and brought up some of the ribbon."

Image copyright Gill Edwards
Image caption Otto (right), a mini Dachshund, ate a pair of pants and a Santa hat bobble without being harmed

The Labrador underwent two operations to remove the ribbons, which were causing a potentially fatal blockage.

PDSA senior vet Aoife Clancy said: "It was a lengthy, high-risk surgery. Marley's chances of surviving the night were looking poor.

"Thankfully he pulled through but needed critical round-the-clock care for four days before he could go home."

The PDSA said the treatment cost £2,000, paid for by public donations.


You may also like:


Another dog owner, Gill Edwards, from Ealing, west London said her mini dachshund, Otto, ate her pants, which passed through its system without apparently causing any ill effects.

She said: "Impressive, as there was a fair amount of material involved and he's only little. Yesterday it was the bobble off a Santa hat. Like some disgusting vending machine."

Ms Clancy said: "It's important that owners make sure decorations and toxic Christmas foods are safe from curious paws."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites