'Severe' gas leak in derelict Essex property
Fire crews spent six hours helping authorities deal with a gas leak in a derelict Essex building.
Firefighters were called to the property in Victoria Road, Southend, at 2200 BST on Friday.
A "severe" gas leak was affecting the top three floors of the building, a fire service spokesman said.
But in order for the gas board to reach the mains, crews had to pump out seven metres of water from the flooded basement.
The fire service left the scene at 0450 BST on Saturday.