Essex pensioner dies in coal fire smoke

A 96-year-old woman from Essex died when her house was filled with coal fire smoke which could not escape through the blocked chimney.

Ambulance crews had arrived to treat the woman when they found the house at The Street, Terling, was full of smoke.

They called firefighters at 15:30 BST. They found no sign of a fire other than that in the fireplace.

The woman was found dead and a man was left in the care of the ambulance service.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites