Liquid and Envy club fire sparked by angle-grinder act
An angle-grinding stage act caused the fire in an Essex nightclub on Sunday, the club said.
The fire started in the ceiling of a stage area at the Liquid and Envy club, on Basildon's Festival Leisure Park, just before 02:00 GMT.
More than 1,000 people were evacuated from the scene. One man suffered burns to his lower arms in the fire.
A club spokesman said angle-grinding "entertainment" would not be used until the fire investigation has concluded.
It is understood the nightclub had featured podium dancers, fire breathers and angle-grinders during the night.
Firefighters brought the fire under control within about 15 minutes. Crews then used a high-pressure fan to clear the nightclub of smoke.
Carl Sautereau, head of customer services at The Luminar Group, which runs the club, said: "It is understood the incident occurred during an angle-grinding performance, which is a common form of entertainment in many nightclubs.
"As a precautionary measure, until the investigation has concluded, we will not be using this form of entertainment in any of our venues."
Club manager Darren Guyon thanked his customers for the "controlled and measured way in which they evacuated the building".
The club continues to trade as normal.
The fire service is yet to comment on the cause of the blaze.