Essex

Braintree man killed by toxic fumes inside house

Tideswell Close, Braintree Image copyright Google
Image caption Essex Police says the death of the man was not being treated as suspicious

A man has died after being overwhelmed by toxic fumes inside a house, it has emerged.

It is understood a fire had been lit at the home in Tideswell Close, Braintree, causing fumes to build up.

Emergency crews called to the scene at 21:40 BST on Sunday initially retreated due to concerns over a "strong toxic smell".

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and found the body of the man, aged in his 20s.

The death is not being treated as suspicious, Essex Police said.

A report would be prepared for the coroner, they added.

Related Topics