Braintree fire deaths of Alina and Emilia Kordaszewska accidental

Pictured are left to right: Rafal Kordaszewska with his children Emilia and Milena Kordaszewska and wife Alina Kordaszewska. Image copyright Essex Police
Image caption Alina Kordaszewska with husband Rafal and children Emilia (l) and Milena

A house fire which killed a mother and daughter was an accident, an inquest has concluded.

Alina Kordaszewska, 41, and 11-year-old Emilia died in an upstairs room in the fire in South Street, Braintree, on 21 December.

The fire was started by a candle. Post mortem tests revealed the victims died as a result of "smoke inhalation".

Essex coroner Caroline Beasley Murray described the mother and daughter as "much-loved".

Image copyright Notley High School
Image caption Emilia was described as a "delightful" student by staff at Notley High School

Two other women - believed to be the family's other daughter Milena, 18, and her aunt, Isabela Czaplinda - managed to get out of the property before the fire service arrived, it was reported at the time.

Emilia attended Notley High School in Braintree. Her mother worked at CommScope in Braintree, a communications company.

Image caption The fire was started by a candle

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites