Danielle Jones murder: No body found at garage dig

Danielle Jones Image copyright Essex Police
Image caption The body of Danielle Jones has never been found

A search for the body of a murdered 15-year-old near her killer's former home has found no trace of her remains.

Danielle Jones was last seen in June 2001. Stuart Campbell, 59, an uncle of the teenager, was jailed for life for her abduction and murder in 2002.

Police erected a cordon around 20 garages in Stifford Clays, Thurrock, with one "the focus" of the search.

Although work continues, police said they were "confident" Danielle's body was not in the main plot.

It was excavated on Tuesday.

The schoolgirl who vanished at a bus stop

Live: For more on this and other Essex stories

Essex Police said work would continue on the site to establish whether any further excavation was required at any of the other plots.

Image copyright PA
Image caption This week, Essex Police revealed it was searching a block of garages not searched in 2001
Image caption Danielle's parents Linda and Tony Jones visiting the scene of the police search on Monday

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Worron said: "A thorough search was conducted on the base which formed the focus of our work yesterday and I am confident that Danielle's body is not there.

"I am however committed to ensuring that we satisfy ourselves before leaving the area that there is nothing concealed under any of the bases indicated within the information received in February.

"Danielle's family have been updated on this development and we continue to work with them.

"This case is not closed.

"It will remain open until Danielle's body is found and she is returned to her family.

Image copyright Essex Police
Image caption Stuart Campbell, who was an uncle by marriage to Danielle, was jailed for life in 2002

"The one person who knows where her body is still refuses to tell police or her family. Stuart Campbell could end the last 16 years of pain for Linda and Tony and tell them where their daughter is."

On Monday, Essex Police confirmed a "non specific" lead about the garages between Goddard Road and Crammavill Street had been passed to them in 2001.

However, despite this, the garages were not searched at the time.

Danielle was last seen at a bus stop near her home in East Tilbury on 18 June 2001.

Campbell, a builder and father-of-two, was told he would serve at least 20 years of his life sentence for murder.

He will be eligible for parole in four years' time.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites