Waltham Abbey fireplace shop stock destroyed by fire
A fireplace shop's stock has been destroyed after a fire in a neighbouring industrial estate unit.
About 40 firefighters tackled the blaze in Cartersfield Road in Waltham Abbey, Essex, shortly before 05:00 GMT.
The owner of Hartely Stoves said it began in the unit behind his fireplace installation company, but spread to his store and an equestrian tack shop.
He said his stock was extensively damaged by water and smoke. An investigation is under way.
"Just about everything is gone," said the owner, who did not wish to be named.
He said he did not know the name of the business behind his, where he believes the fire began, but said it might have been "used for storage".
At the height of the blaze Essex Fire & Rescue Service requested help from electricity and gas companies to cut off supplies to the building, and people living nearby were warned to keep windows and doors closed.
Nine crews tackled the fire, using an aerial ladder platform to allow them to spray water from a height on to the unit which houses two companies.
The fire service was unable to say whether anyone was in the building at the time, however, the East of England Ambulance Service sent three crews, together with a rapid response vehicle and ambulance officer to the estate.
"There were no patients found at the scene," a spokesman said.
The fire was extinguished by about 08:40.